Winterizing

goxner

Recruit
Having never owned an outboard in a northern climate (now live in NJ), I'm curious as to how I ensure no cooling water remains in the engine (i.e., block and head passages)when I put it up for the winter. Do I assume that it will gravity drain sufficiently to put my mind at ease on this subject?<br /><br />I have an 85hp Force and a 9.9hp Evinrude.<br /><br />Thanks for any informative replies that result from this query.<br /><br /> Gary

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Winterizing

Gary take a look here......lots of good info<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000024 <br /><br /><br />Make sure the motor vertical or as straight up and down as you can get it. the water should drain out. What you want to watch out most for as far as water goes is water in the lower unit. I would drain it and refill with fresh oil before storage to be safe......but make sure you refill it to keep the gears from rusting.<br /><br />If it were me I would store the 9.9 in the basement or garage if possible. It just seems easier that way. I store my 25hp in the basement.