Winterizing w/o Outdrive on

dk6164

Seaman
Quick question- I need to run my engine (3.0 w/ Alpa One) to winterize it. I always fog it and change the oil+filter as well as getting the Stabil into the carb.. My outdrive is off for replacement. Can I put a garden hose into the water port on the bellhousing and run the engine long enough to warm it up. Or should I look for a new way to winterize.<br />I read thru the 14 pages of old posts but my old eyes started to go fuzzy so any help would be appreciated.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winterizing w/o Outdrive on

I have seen this question posted before and the answer was yes you can run it this way if the water gets up to the engine. No need to worry about the impeller, it isnt there.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

better still --- disconnect, at the thermostat connection, the hose that feeds from the outdrive to the thermostat. then buy this laundry hose from home depot ( about $1.50 a foot - i have 3 feet.) and connect it to the thermostat with the same rubber coupler that you removed so it won't come off. now you have bypassed the need for water from the outdrive. then insert a garden hose on the other end of the hose. use duct tape so it does not come off. works everytime

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Yes,I use the hose end that looks like a fireman's hose, stick it in the water port on the bell housing and you are good to go, and you don't have to disconnect anything.....JK

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

For the same price as a pair of muffs,you can get an adapter to bolt on to your bellhousing bolt that will feed garden hose water into the feed hole in the bellhousing.I have used it many times before.The only thing you want to be careful of is not leaving the garden hose water running after the motor is shut down.Charlie

dk6164

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. I thought it would work but it seems like every time I think, I wish I hadn't!<br /><br />Thanks again

dk6164

Seaman

Thanks garycinn. It looks like something I could make up at home, but for only $25.00 it's not worth my time. I think I'll buy one!