Winterizing question

badly bent or broke

Seaman Apprentice
I've owned my boat with a '97 75 hp Force for over two years now. The past 2 years I have kept it wintered in my garage (above freezing). I used it at least once monthly during the winter so I didn't actually "winterize" it other than changing the gear lube and using a fuel stabilizer. This year it will be necessary for it to be kept outside over the winter. I will change the lower unit oil but am wondering if there is any water left inside the engine that would freeze and cause a problem? To conserve space, I trim the motor down when parked at home. Does this allow all the water to drain? I hope to use the boat occasionally over the winter so I don't want to do something that will unwinterize it or am I better off to but it in moth balls until spring?

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: Winterizing question

Keep on fishing.

Lower your motor so all the water will drain. Also be sure to remove your drain plug and keep the front of the boat elevated to allow rain or snow from accumulating in the interior of the boat. Also open any live well drains.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Winterizing question

You could get one of those fancy flushing kits that introduces the marine antifreeze using muffs into the system so no freezing. Or you could put some marine antifreeze in through the thermostat housing or plug on top of the t-stat housing using a ketchup bottle or similar. Point is to not have any water left in the lower unit because it could definitly do damage if it freezes.