Winterizing: Oils / Lubrication

Richard R

Seaman Apprentice
Ok.. Ok.. I'm sure this has been posted 100 plus times but I couldn't find any of the posts. If anyone knows of a link to the posts or has an opinion I would appreciate the input.<br /><br />Boat/Motor Info:<br />1987 17' Seaswirl<br />4.3 GMC / OMC cobra<br /><br />The boat is run during the summer months April through September, it sits for Jan - March. I have had the boat for about 4 years. I have no idea of the maintenance prior to my ownership, however it runs well, always has. <br /><br />Question / opinions: Usually I change both the outdrive grease and engine oil at the end of each season. I like to change the outdrive grease to check for water before I put it away for the winter and I like to change the engine oil to get the crap out of it for the winter. Just realized this contradicts my fuel policy. Hold on to your shorts guys, gals... I drain my fuel tank for the winter. I run stabilizer thru the system, then completely drain and plug every orifice to the tank. Thus I start next year with a FRESH tank of premium gas. Anyway back to the question / opinion, should I keep changing the lubricants at the end of each season so it sits with clean lubricants or let the old lubricants sit for the winter and change the lubricants at the beginning of the next season so I run the season with fresh oils?<br /><br />Thanx,<br />**** R :confused:

JimmyTheGreek

Recruit
Re: Winterizing: Oils / Lubrication

I've heard it is best to get all the crap out by changing the fluids and oils at the end of the season. A freind of mine told me that the oil actually gets acidic during summer usage and can over time cause internal damage if not stored clean

merc 140 pontoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Everyone I know changes before winter. Change the gear lube, run the engine to warm the oil, change the oil and filter, run the engine to disperse new oil throughout and fog while winterizing the engine, open drains, etc. You don't want the used oil sitting over winter because it can be acidic and can contain traces of water. Over the winter, I don't believe water will condense inside the engine and drip into the oil, unless, like on some airplanes, the oil pan is heated (in which case air is drawn up through the engine and moisture condenses on the cooler upper components). So come spring, you should be good to go, although I personally still check both the oil and lube for contamination.<br /><br />This is just how I and the people I know do it; I'm no expert.<br /><br />Steve

Richard R

Seaman Apprentice

Got it... plus read the other posts about "winterizing" in general, looks like I have be doing the correct way and will continue to do the lubes at the end of the season.<br /><br />Great forum, thanks for the input!!<br /><br />Doc

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hey Doc, I was just wondering what got you started draining the gas tank. Did you have any bad experiences or just a practice of your maintainance schedule?<br /><br />Also why the premium fuel. I have heard that with older engines like mine that if you use premium, you must readjust timing and carb settings. If not a preignition condition can exist.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hey Doc, I was just wondering what got you started draining the gas tank. Did you have any bad experiences or just a practice of your maintainance schedule?<br /><br />Also why the premium fuel. I have heard that with older engines like mine that if you use premium, you must readjust timing and carb settings. If not a preignition condition can exist.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Draining the GAS tank is probably not the perfect thing to do and I'll not argue with the thousands of professionals, engineers, and experienced boat mechanics and manufacturers that say add fuel additive, fill the tank run the system to get it into the carb, change oil, fog it, drain it, forget it.<br /><br />Draining the Cobra oil in the process and giving is a spin when winterizing is preferred.<br /><br />I also lower My outdrive the max to make sure no water accumulates in the thru prop exhaust, also to relax the tension on the bellows for the long rest.<br /><br />Synthetic Oils (Aimsoil) claim no acid reactions due to lack of additives. I still change everything at the end of season.