Winterizing new engine

sumodumy

Cadet
I am new to this forum and hope I am in the right area to ask this question. I bought a new boat early July and it has a 5.0L mercruiser. The engine only has 25 hrs (approx), and I am prepping for winter storage. I know all the items I have to take care, oil and gear oil, fuel stabilizer, drain engine block etc., but is it necessary to drop the lower trim to lube the o-rings and shaft splines with so few hrs on the sterndrive or can I wait until next season. I expect to put about 30 hrs on the boat next summer. Maint calls for this lube every 100 hrs or at the end of the boating season before storage - thoughts?

D

DJ

Re: Winterizing new engine

I'll move this to the I/O section. I think you'll get a response there.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

is it fuel injected or carbed? the winterization procedures are a little different for each.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

but is it necessary to drop the lower trim to lube the o-rings and shaft splines with so few hrs

That is one of the most important parts, and yes it needs to be done at least yearly. Not only to grease the splines, but to check the alignment. Should a motor mount fail or come loose and the alignment is out, it will destroy the coupler. Then you have to pull the engine out of the boat to replace it.
It also allows you to look inside the bellows for water in case there is a seal or bellows failure.

sumodumy

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I took the time to call 4 authorized merc dealers in my area and 3 of them stated when winterizing they only drop the lower trim every other year, but did recommend new gear oil each year. Unless you put a boatload (excuse the pun) of hrs on it in 1 year, than in this case, it was recommended lubing the o-rings and splines every year and checking the alignment. Another reason every other year was recommended was because the sealed coupler and shaft splines can be lubricated without removing the sterndrive on the newer engines and the Perma-Lube U-joints don?t require lubrication. Anyway since it is new and under warranty, I will take it in and let an authorized merc dealer winterize it this first year (and get it in writing).

Bondo

Staff member

The engine only has 25 hrs (approx),

Ayuh,....

Doesn't that mean you're due for a 20hr. Check-Up,..??..??

Or don't they Do that with New boats now-a-days,..??

I always thought the 20hr. Check-Up was to discover all the Screw-Ups from the factory install,..??:D

sumodumy

Cadet

The service book doesn?t state that the boat requires a ?checkup? at 20 hrs. It states change the oil/filter (which I did) and the sterndrive oil (which I did not do, since I knew I would only put a few more hrs on it before winterizing ? currently sitting at 25 hrs). Maybe if I had bought the boat locally, the dealer would have suggested bringing it in at 20 hrs for a checkup. I bought from a dealer 500 miles away in CA. Would have loved to do business with my local dealer, but what are you to do when you can buy the same boat for $3000 less elsewhere? I felt I got a good deal and the boat has performed flawlessly. Certainly if I had a problem I would have taken it in to be checked. Now that I am taken it in for winterizing, I will have them do a thorough checkup though.