Winterizing an EFI engine

binduni

Cadet
Having always had outboards, I'm concerned about winterizing the fuel injected 5.0 Merc in my new boat. I think I'll have it professionally winterized this year, but can anyone help with the pros and cons of fogging the engine? I've read that one should NOT spray fogging oil into the intake until the engine dies - like I always did on my outboards - thoughts?<br /><br />Also, what are thoughts on disconnecting the fuel intake and running the engine out of fuel? Will this mess up the injectors, or anyting else????<br /><br />Lastly, I've read all the posts and tech tips on this board about winterizing, but they are all very general and not specific to an I/O engine, fiberglass boat on a trailer. Does there exist a winterizing guide for boat, motor, and trailer? If not I'll make one and post - send ideas!<br /><br />It'll be raining soon......<br /><br />Brian

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Winterizing an EFI engine

Step 1 ,remove the water separator filter and dump it's contents into a clean pan or jar.This is to check for any water contamination in the tank.Then fill up a new fuel filter with gas and add a little stabilizer,oil the gasket on the filter and install it.Then dump the rest of that stabilizer into the fuel tank as per the recipe on the bottle.Carefull not to spill as this stuff likes to stain your gelcoat.Then with the proper flusher or on the water let the engine run about 20 minutes to allow that stabil fuel to get everywhere.With all that done then remove the spark plugs one by one and give each cylinder a shot of fogging oil.Then drain the block,exhaust manis,p.s cooler if that applies,trans cooler if that applies,and circ pump.