Winterizing a '95 Merc XRi 150

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm pretty handy, but I'm not really familiar with engines that much. I plan to winterize my Merc soon, and I think I have most things covered, but I'm not sure where the carbs are to spray the fogging oil into? What am I looking for? If anyone has pics or a description of what I'm looking for that would help a lot.

Thanks!

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Winterizing a '95 Merc XRi 150

carbs are on the front and there is a plastic box(black) you need to take off which should expose the 6 carbs if it's similar to my black max

mattwahm

Seaman Apprentice

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you're talking about. I'll check it when I get home. Thanks for the help!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Matt, On my '93 135V6, I was able to spray the fogging oil into the hole in the front of the airbox. If you move the spray left and right a bit, you will get both carb throats. Repeat for the other carbs.

BTW, hit the grease fittings and change the LU gear oil as well

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you add fuel stabilizer to the fuel and run the engine long enough to get it into the carbs BEFORE you fog the engine. Fogging does nothing for the inside of the carbs. Spraying through the throats is merely the method to get the oil into the engine. The air box may have round plugs that you can remove to spray the oil through.