Winterizing 3.0l LX

Timrp

Cadet
I just finished "winterizing" my 3.0LX. I live in Sudbury,ON (-40deg).<br />-I changed engine oil/filter.<br />-I changed the outdrive oil(I only put 12 hours on it last summer, was this nessessary?) The lube in the reservoir looked like the stuff in the bottle.<br />-Fogged the engine, then poured some in the cylinders, removed the coil wire, cranked the engine a couple of times.<br />-Removed hoses, opened petcocks, poured in anti-freeze (AF) till it came out of petcocks, left all drainage open, including hull.<br />-Removed battery, silicone spray-lubed the outside of the engine.<br />Question 1) Does pouring in AF till it comes out fill all voids re:freezing?<br />Question 2) Should you change the oil in the trim reservoir?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winterizing 3.0l LX

Tim, Sounds pretty good. Did you put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, and run the motor for a few minutes to assure it got into the carb? If not, you should put some in the tank, the carb will usually get over it. Change the water seperator if you have one, or the gas filter if you only have that. Clean the spark arrestor and pump some grease into the grease fittings.<br /><br />I am not sure if you got all the water out of the block with that antifreeze introduction method. I continue to fill the block and manifolds with antifreeze(to be sure), but some guys insist it is not necessary. Did you dump some antifreeze down the raw water hose? Better do that to winterize the outdrive impeller and PS cooler.<br /><br />I would check the oil in the trim pump. If it is clear red or clear brown (like clean ATF or new motor oil) you may leave it alone. If it is cloudy, it likely has water in it, and should be changed and the problem troubleshot.

Timrp

Cadet

Chris,<br />I did the stabilzer and raw water earlier as well, ran engine with stabilized fuel through for probably 10 minutes and filled the raw water hose as well, running it through till it ran out the back (caught it in my tray). Is the water separator below the fuel pump, and the filter at the carb.<br />I greased the fittings one on either side of the outdrive. Do you remove the outdrive and lube/grease the gimble?? Seems major.

vipzach

Lieutenant

There is a grease zert on the housing that will lube the gimble. The seperator is in-line, before the fuel pump, looks like an oil filter, there is a filter in the carb and could be one in the fuel pump (looks kinda like a round rock)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tim, If you have an Alpha I Gen I, there are grease fittings on the Universal joints that need to be filled once per year. You need to remove the drive to do this. Other than that, it sounds like you have got it done. Happy hibernating in the -40 temps!