Winterize Engine

Sooner44

Seaman
In the past, I have mixed 50-50 antifreeze and water in a 5 gal bucket (Merc 3.0). I have opened the three drain valves (block - manifold -elbow) and let all water drain. I then connected a teel pump, using plastic 5/8 hose to the block drain valve and started pump, when antifreeze started comming out of the manifold drain, I closed that drain, continued to pump until antifreeze came out the elbow, closed that drain, continued to pump until antifreeze staretd to come out the lower end. I have done this for 20 years with no issues. Now I have a volvo Penta 3.0. Do you think this method is good for the Penta ??<br /><br />Also, I would like to drain the bowl on the carb, any way to do this ??<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Sooner

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winterize Engine

Is this not the same engine basically? I think it would work for the Volvo as well. As far as the carb, depends on what kind of carb., you could shut the gate valve and just run it out of gas.....I wouldn't bother unless it will be laid up for longer than 1 off-season...JK

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sooner, it seems like this might not be enough to get to some of the "accessories" such as the powersteering cooler and other hose fed connections. I saw your comment in the other posting regarding the extra hoses in the Volvo.

Sooner44

Seaman

Vatter,<br /><br />The Merc 3.0 does not have all the hoses I spoke of. No power steering. Regarding the elbow, it's actually called the manifold riser. My Merc has a 1/4" petcock on it for draining.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On the Volvo... You can drain the block and the manifold. (Be sure to poke out any rust with a small screwdriver) and you're done. No water left needs no antifreeze!