winter time help

BOAT

Cadet
HEY ALL.IT'S ALMOST WINTER TIME HERE IN NEW YORK.CAN I WINTERIZE MY OWN BOAT.IT'S A 140HP I/O FORD.IF SO AND IF YOU GOT THE TIME WHAT WOULD I NEED TO DO.ANY HELP + HINTS WOULD HELP THANK BRUCE+SOON TO BE COLD.

manowar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: winter time help

1. Get some stabil add it to your full tank of gas look on the directions for the amount of stabil per gallons 2. wash your boat thouroughly.3 If run in salt water flush the motor over 5 minutes grease all fittings I would cover the boat if possible better yet store inside . Once every month make sure your steering works and grease your turning bar if not a self luber mostly keep it greased and change your fluids when ready to run again It will smoke at first running from the Stabil in the tank but it will burn off before you catch your first fish good luck

martinwinte

Petty Officer 3rd Class

read post below "has walt gone compleatly mad" Also see my post on the boat page labled "found a newbe web page" both will have valuable info in them. Also when adding Stabil... make sure it runs thru the carb (ie add to the last tank you run) so it will keep the gas in the bowel fresh.

Richard R

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,<br />First I think I should say that this is my first year as a boat owner so I am probably not the best one to give you information but I will post what I have heard / read so far. <br /><br />Also each boat style, owner situation and area of the country will dictate different requirements.<br /><br />I am basing my information on living in the state of Oregon with a 17' I/O pleasure boat, run only in fresh water, storage will handled by myself and it will be outside under a walled canopy.<br /><br />First I would suggest reading the post in this forum from Walt: "Am I going mad", it convinced me to store my boat with the tank empty (against everything I had thought to date). There are also several other posts in this forum about various aspects of storing your boat that you should read.<br /><br />This is what I have been working on so far. <br /><br />
  • <br /><br /><br /><br />
  • 1) Run tank of stabilized fuel through the carburetor. <br /><br />
  • 2) Drain the fuel tank <br /><br />
  • 3) Clean the boat inside and outside <br /><br />
  • 4) Remove as much upholstery as possible <br /><br />
  • 5) Drain all water from manifold and engine block <br /><br />
  • 6) Fill the block / manifold with antifreeze <br /><br />
  • 7) Remove boat drain plug from transom <br /><br />
  • 8) Repack wheel bearings with fresh grease <br /><br />
  • 9) Fill tires to capacity, remove weight if possible. <br /><br />
  • 10) Clean / protect light plug connectors, padlocks, tongue.<br /><br />
  • 11) Remove and charge battery<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />This may not be everything that needs to be done but it has been keeping me busy so far.<br /><br />Good luck!!