Winter storage question...

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice
I have read in various places that it is good to store a I/O with the outdrive all the way down. Unfourunetly the place I am storing my boat this winter may need to move my boat around to fit more boats, meaning I won't be able to leave the outdrive touching the ground. What potential damage could this cause? Any ideas for a remedy?<br /><br />Jeff

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Winter storage question...

The biggest problem is if the "Bullet" fills with water when in the up position. If it's inside storage, there shouldn't be a problem as it wouldn't fill up with water from rain and snow. But if outside, maybe taking the drive off and storing it either in the boat or at home would be best.<br />With the drive on "and in the up position" it's a little harder on the drive bellows, but if you change it every 4 or 5 years, it shouldn't be a problem.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

There is a very simple solution.Remove the drive for the winter!!!! You should do it anyway so you can take it home and service the water pump and change the gear lube and maybe touch up the paint if it needs it.The drive will be happier if it is home with you anyway and it wont disappear in the off season.Charlie

f_inscreenname

Commander

If you take it off don't leave the drive in the boat. You are asking someone to walk off with it. I would leave it down as far as possible and cover it with a big black 6mill trash bag (if you have no other reason to take it off). Cut a small hole in the lowest part of bag in case any water needs to drain.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

From Crazy charlie:<br />
The drive will be happier if it is home with you
You can tell charlie REALLY loves his boat!!!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I guess its something a guy just cant hide Pointers.Charlie

rogerwa

Commander

I beleive it is bad for the bellows to be in that position all year. That's what I Have heard. I leave mine up and inspect my bellows regularly for signs of wear or brittleness, etc..

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I would never store a leg with the bellows in the up/extended/stretched position...(any manual will state the same)...these things run a lot of money (itself, AND the labor to pull the leg, plus the corroded stuff that will break just to pull it).....a pinhole in it can sink your boat for crying out loud.....I would set maintenance schedule on stuff like this, and do the gimbal grease, replace parts,etc. Amazing how much trouble, money, and work can be avoided by maintenance schedule. On my I/O it is in the down straight ahead position ALL THE TIME. Any other position is not normal. I don't even leave the wheel turned anywhere but straight when in the water either. Paranoid? Yep.....

skicat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know Mercruiser advises that the sterndrive be stored down. I also know by my own observance that most people who trailer their boats leave the drive up when not on the lake. I also know two boaters who always had their drives up even during winter storage with no ill effects. Both boats were only used in fresh water. One boat had all bellows changed at ten years. Mechanic said bellows were still good but still advised changing. The other boater has now gone eleven years with same bellows. He has had them checked by a mercruiser mechanic every couple years, but still has not changed them. My boat is now five years old, with drive always stored up. A Mercruiser mechanic just pulled the drive and checked bellows, and said they were fine.