Wings??

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice
do those plastic foils that you bolt onto your cavitation plate do any real good if there is a borderline condition for planing? Anybody a convincing 'believer'?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Wings??

It is one of those "it depends" kinda things. For some boat/motor combinations they do the trick. Other folks don't like em at all. They are not expensive so try em & take em off if they don't do what you want them to do.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

From what I have heard over the years, they have a better chance of helping on a smaller boat ( under 16' ? ) that is struggling to maintain plane.<br /><br /><br />It would help to know more specifics about boat, and motor hp, etc.

walleyehed

Admiral

They will also help larger boats somewhat, but smart-tabs would be a better option.<br />I've run with both...the Smart-Tabs are still on the boat.......BUT, I do have a very small "fin" on one side of the Cav. plate, but it's not for help to plane out.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

On Really big boats they're a Really bad idea. You're going to lift thousands of pounds of boat with 1/8" thick aluminum? NOT!<br /><br />They perform best on flat bottom boats where they can clear the water once the boat is planed. Once on plane, all they do is slow you down unless they come out of the water.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually the larger fins work well on larger boats and motors. <br /><br />Do a search on this. There's a ton of info. <br /><br />You have to keep in mind that the fin is a tool. It allows you to raise the motor (increase the X dimension). Raising the motor = less drag. Less drag = better efficiency and that = better holeshot and top speed. <br /><br />There are large fins and small fins. Each has a place and a purpose. Simply bolting on a fin is only part of the job. Bolting on a fin without doing anything else may well result in a loss of efficiency.<br /><br />Its a tool. Just like a hammer or a saw. You can use the tool to make something good be better. The hammer and saw wont do it by themselves -- its how you use the tools.<br /><br />Like they say, use the right tool, use the tool right.

deofc

Seaman

I have a 15 1/2 foot center console with a 70HP Johnson. Bought it used....it took forever to plane and would not stay on plane at slower speeds. I put the fins on and now it planes at slower speeds and stays on plane much better. Not sure how it works on larger boats.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Dhadley probably knows more about hydrofoils than anyone,and that includes factory representatives from the other manufacturers.<br /><br />In most cases the packaging would lead you to believe that simply bolting one on to the cavitation plate will transform your boat. That is wishfull thinking at best. If the motor sits too low you will get one set of results and handling characteristics, and if it is too high, you get something else.<br /><br />Why such a difference, simply because you are adding additional planing surface to the boat which does not change (fixed surface). It must be part of the overall calculation. Your chances are better with outboard motors as they can be adjsuted up or down as required. I/O's are not as easy.<br /><br />I make trim tabs and may be biased, but they are adjustable and for the majority of boats, they are easy to "tune" to your specific boat. <br /><br />John DeAgro<br />Nauticus, Inc.<br />(Smart Tabs)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

DEOFC,<br /> If your 15 1/2-footer is struggling to plane with a 70hp, then you may have one of tow issues to deal with...<br /><br /> Either the boat is waterlogged to some degree, creating a very heavy boat, or you're running the wrong propeller for the set-up. A 70hp in good tune ought to have to trouble at all planing off a 15-16-foot hull, even with a decent load. My 15-footer was a little slow out of the hole with four people onboard - I swapped the 19-inch prop for a 17-inch and she'll pin you to your seat now. Might want to look for a cause of the issue rather than a band-aid solution.<br /><br /> Although the fins often have their place, all too often they're used as a stop-gap measure rather than addressing the real issues... wrong prop, too much load in the boat, too little power for the hull and load, poor bottom condition, etc... When all else has been eliminated as a cause for the poor performance, then consider the fin, or tab, etc.<br />- Scott

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

John and Scott bring up good points. <br /><br />We use the fins -- a lot, but ones of our own design. But I should mention that its only after we have maxed out the set up without them. To be honest, most times the improvement is so great that the fin is never an issue. Once we have a great set up, the fin is the next step. We never view it as a band-aid although too many people do.<br /><br />Like the guys said -- they arent a "bolt on miracle" by any means.

deofc

Seaman

Chine Walker...... Mine is an older boat and moter (1978). Boat is heavy. It struggled to plane at slower and midrange speeds. With the fin it works well. May be a band aid but it works for me.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Deofc,<br /> Older doesn't necessarily mean the boat need be hard to palen off and perform properly. Is if heavy because of gear, gas, people, etc. or is the old foam flotation getting waterlogged? Was it a heavy boat from new? What kind of boat is it? A fishing sled, runabout, etc.? I still think that a 70 with the right prop ought to scoot most all 15-16-footers right along, save for a work boat or barge type rig. My boat is a '77 and the motor is a 1980, so age doesn't have anything to do with it IF the boat and motor are in good shape....<br />- Scott

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 10ft Zodiac, tried the fin route, it did improve things somewhat. I then removed the fin and put Smart tabs on it and will never have another inflatable with out them. It has less bow rise, is far faster to plane, and will maintain a plane at far lower speeds. It also handles far better at high speeds. Just my 2 cents, but then an inflatable at 30+ mph presents its own issues!!!<br /><br />Cheers,<br /> Snow.

phatmanmike

Captain

could it also be that the motor is only running on 2 out of its 3 cylinders, not making enough power?<br /><br />i had this same scenario with my 16 foot center console and 50hp evinrude 2 cylinder... so i bought a hydrofoil. didnt help, as i ended up throwing a rod cause the top cylinder wasnt firing all the time cause it was running lean, and we all know what that means.<br /><br />i know this is a lot of stuff to look for. if you want simple, sell the boat and get a kite.<br /><br />you have a lot of great advice on this one thread, and as stated, you should look into all other causes before bolting on that foil.<br /><br />there is no reason your 70hp shouldnt be able to make that lil 15 footer fly. something is surley amiss here.<br /><br />give us all the info about the boat, motor, prop, weight of the boat loaded, conditions, etc and youd be suprised what can be told!<br /><br />these guys are mind readers, fortune tellers... its truly amazing<br /><br />mike

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice

snowdrggn; what are 'smart tabs and who sells them? Sounds interesting to me......

deofc

Seaman

ChineWalker....Boat is not waterlogged, it is an old Winner (1977). Engine is in good shape and runs well. I usually boat alone and yes sometimes it is a weight distribution problem (gas tanks, cooler, batteies). I have spread those things out.I'm not trying to argue the point and I do appreciate your advice. I'll look into the prop thing next spring/summer. I was just answering the original question...do the wings work?? On my boat they do. I'm sure they don't on other boats. This topic comes up fairly often and usually turns into a tabs vs fins argument. They work for my purpose on my boat. Thanks.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

deofc;<br /><br />There shold not be an argument regarding tabs vs Hydrofoils. Hydrofoils will help the boat plane faster because they add additional surface area to the stern (more lift) and tabs will do the same thing. The difference is that tabs will do much more than hydrofoils could ever do, and without the other side effects. <br /><br />Anyone who addes a hydrofoil should be prepared for the probable need to adjust the motor height (usually Up).

BillP

Captain

If comparing the two, put all the info on the table...If you are running through breaking inlets (or big seas)the worst and most dangerous thing you can have is the bow down in following seas. Foils let you trim up with the motor. Flush tabs do it too.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Hi BillP;<br /><br />The lift presure is adjustable on Smart Tabs and as long as they are appropriately sized and the pressure set correctly, the motor trim will work.