windlass

SPECKLEDREDS

Cadet
Just purchased a 2022- 20' suncatcher fishing barge. Using a fluke style anchor with a 4'chain rode, any suggestion as to what type of windlass to use would be greatly appreciated.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Think about a windy day with the anchor well set. Now think about how much force you have to use to pull the boat toward the anchor until the line gets vertical enough to free the anchor from the bottom. That's how much force your windlass will need. . . . When I studied this issue a while back I concluded than none of the "affordable" windlasses had both the power and speed to meet my needs. The least expensive windlass I saw that met my requirements was $1,000 or more. ... And dealing with that 4 feet of chain is a challenge too.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There are a number of reasonably priced windlass on the market designed for pontoons.

Generally speaking windlass should be rated to 3X anchor weight

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Think about a windy day with the anchor well set. Now think about how much force you have to use to pull the boat toward the anchor until the line gets vertical enough to free the anchor from the bottom.
Windlass is not designed to nor should you “pull the boat towards the anchor” with a windlass.

Always use your engine to power up to the anchor and break it loose. If the anchor is firmly set, tie off the rode and work it out under power.