Winches

bdanie

Cadet
I'm looking to get a new winch for my trailer. I just bout the boat and old one is covered in rust. Works pretty good but is an awful looking thing. Any thoughts on a good one? My boat is an 89 bayliner 1950Cx. i ws looking at them on overtons website but they seem to have some pretty bad reviews, Here are the ones i was looking at...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...er_Winches_With_Straps&aID=603B1&merchID=4006

i was looking at the 2000lb one just dont know if it's a good one or not

Thanks

bdanie

Cadet
Re: Winches

Thanks guy!!

Now what about jacks? whats the rule for the weight on those? I'm replacing the winch, jack and the trailer coupler.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guy!!

Now what about jacks? whats the rule for the weight on those? I'm replacing the winch, jack and the trailer coupler.

Mine needs to be a 'swing-away' for all of the obvious reasons. And...it needs to have a large wheel since I store the trailer on the soft ground. And...it needs to have a decent coating since I am in the salt about half of the time!

This is the one that I am budgeted to get, just as soon as the 'bride' isn't looking!

http://www.iboats.com/Swivel-Traile...81728075--**********.619115278--view_id.56124

Happy boating!

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

bdanie - I sent you a private message....hope you got it.

bdanie

Cadet

Alright i took my winch off and its rated to 1800lbs i was looking at a 1600lb fulton here on iboats. Will that 200lbs make a difference or do i need something at or above 1800?

Also my jack doesn't have a rating for the lbs for my setup how many lbs should the rating on my new jack be?

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice

I'm a fan of Dutton Lainson's as I have one on my winch post now.

Strap and 2-speed.

Treager

Seaman Apprentice

Your jack rating will relate to the tongue weight... not knowing how big the boat is, an 800 or 1000lbs jack should be adequate... if you're in a coastal area where it will see the salt air, avoid galvanized or zinc-plated... (and keep it well greased)...