Winch steel rope broke, replaced with synthetic

Shaky Shed

Cadet
My steel winch rope broke while hauling the boat out at the local ramp. Fortunately I was able to tie it up and get it the rest of the way on. I ordered a new synthetic rope (https://amzn.to/2NIrSX0), cleaned the winch and installed the new rope.

Here is the process and result.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I use synthetic on my ATV winch, but I have always used flat straps on my boats because if you pay attention to what you are doing and roll them back on with no wrinkles and let them lay flat on the winch, they last for a long time and they are strong.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Flat straps need a special winch drum. My preference is 6mm stainless steel cable to replaced galvanized steel cable. I replaced mine when it reached the end of it's life with the stainless. Very nice

Chris........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
we stopped using stainless cable and went to synthetic on everything except one model on the davits at work. the cranes have always been synthetic. the breaking strength of dyneema rope is better than cable (we use Sampson Amsteel Blue). dynex dux is so much higher than that even.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The idea of a non-metallic cable is intriguing. Using nylon rope, not so much.

I looked at going to dyneema cable when I replaced my cable a couple of seasons ago.
Liked the spec’s not the price.

The trick to getting a quality stainless (aircraft) cable is the construction (wire count). If they don’t specify cable construction, I don’t buy

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
stainless elevator cable works better than the "aircraft" cable that you mention. higher wire count for non-fouling. however at the cost, dyneema is not much more

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
stainless elevator cable works better than the "aircraft" cable that you mention. higher wire count for non-fouling. however at the cost, dyneema is not much more

Similarly rated Dyneema was twice what I can get 0.250” x 7x19 stainless for.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Similarly rated Dyneema was twice what I can get 0.250” x 7x19 stainless for.

Would have sprung if I didn’t get 10 years off stainless.

There comes a point in your life when longevity becomes relative.

Shaky Shed

Cadet
The product I used is designed and manufactured in New Zealand for a marine environment and NZ's harsh UV light. The HPP polymer fibre has a breaking strain of 2000kg (4400 lbs) for 5mm gauge and 5000kg (11000 lbs) for 7mm gauge. They come with a 3 year warranty but hopefully it lasts longer than that! ;-)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Flat straps need a special winch drum. My preference is 6mm stainless steel cable to replaced galvanized steel cable. I replaced mine when it reached the end of it's life with the stainless. Very nice

Chris........

Chris, there is nothing special about the drum on my winch, it simple has a small bolt that goes through it to secure the strap and it winds just like any other winch. I have also had them in the past, that had a bolt and a plate that went through a metal reinforced grommet on the strap and it worked as normal.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the synthetic cables, I just ordered a 125 foot one yesterday to replace the 3/8" steel cable on my 12,500 pound recover winch on my truck because during the winter when you get the ice and snow froze in the steel cable it is a real pain to work with, especially on a full pull at 90 feet and it is stiff to try and get through a tackle block. I ended up snapping a cable last winter pulling a tow truck out that slid off the road, so figured I didn't want that whipping cable flying around anymore. So I went with a synthetic rated for more than what the winch is rated for.

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I converted one of my cable winches, to strap, by drilling and tapping a 1/4” plate and running a bolt through the center of the drum and compressed the steel against the strap. This kept any sharp edges from cutting into the strap.

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced the flat strap on my trailer this Spring. The old one was getting frayed on the edge and a bit sun damaged but it had been on there the whole time I have owned it and may have been original from 1998. I have always made sure to wind it so it was nice and flat which may have extended its life.