Will this work-electric trolling motor?

Simnut

Cadet
Good evening all!!!

I have an Endura C2 40/36 electric trolling motor, transom mount. As most of you will know.....this becomes a little difficult to control a 14' aluminum in a breeze/wind. So, in an effort to make the control a BIT better, I've thought about this idea....as shown in the attached image. Basically creating a rudder as part of the trolling motor, which in my mind would give more positive steering with the trolling motor in a wind. I plan on making it out of 1/8 aluminum, which would have a little give on the upper left hand corner (in the image) and would bend slightly, taking some of the pressure off the leg of the motor in a hard turn. These motors have a composite shaft that flex, so a little stress on it doesn't seem, to me anyways....a big deal.

Is this worth the trouble.....or a "nerdy" idea.....has anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance!!!motor-plate.jpg

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Will this work-electric trolling motor?

Nothing there to stop the bow from moving,wind is still going to catch it and spin you.
A bow mount with that outboard in the stern(rudder)would help more.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Agreed -- the rudder will do little or nothing for you. The stern of the boat is the pivot point and the boat itself is a very long lever. A gust of wind on the bow will still spin the boat. Rudders need water moving past them to control direction. At trolling motor speed they would near useless.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a transom mounted trolling motor on a 16' glass boat. If there's wind I'll just troll backwards. That works pretty well.

Paul Pro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmm,I just added a removeable rudder for the stern.worked great.How do you think the boat will handle with a rudder mounted to the bow?Its just an idea,I know it sounds complicated to install,also depending on boat.I almost tried it on my jonboat,I thought wedging a rudder up through the bow handle.I allready turned the head 180 on my motorguide,so its staying like that for now.I think it would be more helpfull, other than a drawback?