will this lower unit work on my motor?

zebbmann

Cadet
pretty sure it will but want to verify first. bought a 1992 force 70hp lower unit and i have a 1996 75 hp..i really bought it to resell. paid 100 for it but i may hang on to it as a backup...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: will this lower unit work on my motor?

I am reasonably sure but not absolutely certain that the two lower units have different shift linkages. While the bolt pattern may be the same, one may not swap with the other

zebbmann

Cadet

my manual has diagram and rebuild instruction for gearcase 70-75 hp prior to 1999. everything looks identical on both units

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

my manual has diagram and rebuild instruction for gearcase 70-75 hp prior to 1999. everything looks identical on both units

you are good to go.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I said I was not absolutely certain. But at some point, I believe that Merc did switch the 75 to a rotating shift linkage from the push-pull. Perhaps I am confusing it with a larger engine like the 90 three cylinder though.

zebbmann

Cadet

awesome. thanks for the reply. cant beat it for 100 bucks. let me ask you one other question regarding the prop shaft on these. both have about a 1/16 inch or so of play in and out. not side to side and nothing is bent. just curious if thats normal and if so why. never had any problems but i just happen to notice when i changed the prop..i gotta say also just to make a general statement that this is a great motor. i know force gets a bad name but they (mercury) got it right with the 96 75 hp. i dont see many problems regarding these in this or any other forum. starts strong and runs strong always. of course i think i should get a little more speed out of it (32 gps on spectrum 1606) but i havent tried it with the new hustler prop yet and i dont know if i got the right pitch and size yet but thats an experiment in the works. thanks for letting me vent and as always thanks for the info. just let me know about the prop shaft...peace

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Not sure about specs on the newer engines but the older Force engines had a spec for .010 end play--and I have never seen one with that little. A certain amount of end play--in and out movement --of the prop shaft is normal and desirable. I certainly don't think that 1/16 inch is too much

zebbmann

Cadet

well away i go then...be on the lake tomorrow. thanks for all the info...