Will this engine work well with my boat

cmuzzy

Cadet
Hello I am looking at a 1996 40hp Johnson 2 cylinder 2 stroke outboard with power trim and tilt for my 15' 1986 aluminum sea nymph boat. I was wondering if this will push my boat fine since originally there was a 1971 evinrude 50hp on it when I bought it. I know its lighter than the 50 hp but I was wondering if there would be a big difference between the power since they are 25 years apart. If anyone could give me some input I would appreciate it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Will this engine work well with my boat

What is your boats' rated Max HP?

You need between 70% and 100% of that rated HP for satisfactory performance. No more, no less.

The '96 40HP is about 3-5HP less at the prop than the '71 50HP, so consider the HP about the same. With carefully perfected propping and rigging it will probably be a bit faster.

cmuzzy

Cadet

The max rated Hp for the boat is 80. The weight of the Boat is 675lbs. I got the 50 hp when I bought the boat. Since it was a hydro shift no one wants to work on them and I understand. The motor sat for 5 years before I got it. I cleaned the Carbs the best I could and after that I used my GPS to figure out the speed and it was about 28mph and It didn't run great. Since my old outboard does not go in nuetral or reverse I wanted something safer. I wanted to know if it would get me up to the same speed all I am doing with it is fishing.

Last edited:

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

My opinion is,it will be fine,could be better,because,the 71 was rated differently,at the powerhead ,the newer 40 at the prop,I believe the newer 40 will have thru prop exhust,turning a more modern prop and trim and tilt is a real help for performance.Go for it