will not start/idle 3.8omc

hello, i am having problems with my engine. it ran fine 2 weeks ago, when i pulled it back out it wouldnt start. sort of.

it is an 85 omc 3.8l omc with rochester quadrajet. problem is it wont start unliss i pump the throttle. it will fire off of what the accelerator pump squirts out, then dies after 2-3 seconds.

i rebuilt the carb, it was full of trash. also added an inline fuel filter.

still exactly the same. it seemed lilke it isnt pulling fuel from the main jets, but then i pulled out the plugs, and they were just about all soaked, stank like gas and were black. cleaned and reinstalled all of them.

the plugs lead me to believe that its actually getting too much gas.

tried again but to no avail.

absolutely will not fire unless the acc pump is pumped, regardless of throttle position( wot, idle mid)

i am really stumped. please someone know what to do.

i am about to replace the carb but that is $400 id rather spend on other things, i dont want to replace this carb and have it do the same thing.

so... any ideas? thanks in advance.

Vanover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: will not start/idle 3.8omc

The problem is your manifolds will fill with water from cracks. That and a crapy carb. Go to recarbco and get a new one. Sell that thing asap. My buddy had one, no parts anywhere.

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: will not start/idle 3.8omc

Is the choke working? is it closed?

might want to check for vacuum leaks around the base of the carb and intake manifold - although that's hard to do without it running.

any fuel in that clear yellow hose from the fuel pump to the carb?