will my treuck have a hard time stopping

i have a 1999 chevy suburban its a 1500 5.0 litter i think will this truck have a hard time stopping with a 3200 pund boat the trailer doesnt have brakes

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: will my treuck have a hard time stopping

You should be fine. That load is well within the towing limits of that truck. But.......I believe in any state a weight load of that size REQUIRES trailer brakes.

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are well within the towing limits, but I'm certain that the limits include the use of trailer brakes. And with the exception of Connecticut, all states require brakes for that weight. Also, it's likely that you are much heavier than that if you are basing the numbers on published specs and not an actual measurement on a scale. If you have a boat rated at 3200, your trailer is probably another 600-ish and your fuel/gear another 500 or so.

Definitely get brakes.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Are you sure about that rule? I dont think Ga has those break requirements. Even if it does, no one cares down here in good ole' Georgia.

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go here to read the laws:

http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=966709

Nearly all states, including Georgia, require brakes over 3k. A few are 2k or even less (CA/ID are 1500). Looks like Connecticut has come down to 3k also. Leaving AK at 5k, NC & RI at 4k, and TX at 4500.

It's unlikely that you'll be busted, just like towing over-limit. The real concern is safety. Even with my truck which has a 13,900 pound tow rating, a 3k trailer with no brakes significantly increases stopping distance (I tested it). In addition, the comfort of towing with a good braking system is not to be under-estimated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when you run over the car in front of you, is not the time to think about whether it's the law. the insurance company and lawyers will have a field day. just like not having a stearn tie down strap (unsecured load).

jenoble01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll be installing brakes on my boat trailer this winter. I've been debating this for a couple of years now, but didn't move forward due to the cost. After the experience I had with a friend of mine I'm a big believer in trailer brakes. We were headed to a tournament, we were going to use his boat (20' 9" bass boat). So obviously we used his truck to tow it. Dodge Ram 2500, diesel, ext cab long bed, 4wd. This trucks weighs in at about 8000 lbs. We were headed through the state park where this tournament was to be held roughly 25mph when a deer jumps out in front of us. He chocks the brakes and we start to jack knife. Then the trailer brakes kick in and straighten us right back out, and we get stopped no problem in a very short space before mauling bambi on steroids. Imagine if this was a panic stop, in a lighter vehicle, at a higher speed with no trailer brakes, This made me a believer in trailer brakes as the end result:

Brake kit much cheaper than body work.