will my batteries be charged?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have one cranking battery, and two accessory batteries. Will the two batteries be charged off the motor as well as the cranking battery, or will they just die, and need a recharge? ! have a 1989 Hydra-Sport bass boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: will my batteries be charged?

Maybe they will -- but then maybe they won't. Since we don't know whether or not they are connected into the charging system, we (or at least I) can't answer your question. Even with larger engines with high output charging systems, the trolling motor batteries will not be fully charged in a few minute run back to the dock or up the lake. You can check if the batteries are connected to the charging system by starting the engine, idle it up to 2000 RPM and using a voltmeter, check the voltage at the trolling (accessory) batteries. If the voltage is 13 volts or higher, they are charging. If they measure 12.6 or less, they are not and will go dead unless recharged using an on-board or portable charger. If you have a voltmeter on the dash, that gauge probably does not read accessory system voltage. It is measuring the engine charging system voltage.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: will my batteries be charged?

Being an 89, the likelyhood of your batteries being charged are next to nill. Get youself an onboard charging system like a Guest, they are the best I have found and there warrentee system is the best I have seen also.