Will it float?

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 14' Starcraft mariner deep v hull aluminum hull boat. On the plate it says 40hp max. I have a spare 55hp lying around and am wondering if it will be TOO much for the boat. I am in the process of building a console for the boat. Am not aware of the laws in alabama but I might have to remove the coast guard plate.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Will it float?

This subject has been up every now and then, in one form or another. Think you can boil it down to <br />'Stay within recommended limits - also regarding insurance coverage. It is a safety matter, afterall.'<br /><br />BTW: Members agree on not to go with less than 75-80% of the max rated hp, if you want to enjoy the way of handling your boat was designed for.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

It'll float, unless that 55 hp is a Homelite 55 4 stroke, those old things weighed in at 230 pounds. A 55 horse 2 stroke shouldn't be too much heavier, but you will need to look at your weight distribution, move some weight forward to counter the extra weight. You will also not be able to put as much other weight in the boat, and you will need to pay close attention to the trim of the motor, and learn how it handles. Lastly, you need to make sure the transom is in tip-top shape, to not only handle the weight, but to handle the the force of leverage the more powerfull motor will place on it.<br /><br /> I think you will be fine, but just remember you assume all responsibility for any injury to anyone aboard the boat by violating the horsepower limit, so you should ask yourself if that extra 15 horses is worth the potential fines or imprisonment if someone gets hurt or dies. Goota love liability....

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

40HP -55HP (Good compression v poor compression)<br />could vary 15HP ??<br />Not much difference really. power wise .<br />You could do all sorts of things like fit a 40HP Cowling cover etc :D :D <br />But the guys are dead-on when it comes to legalities and Insurance claims. That's when the fine tooth comb comes out on HP and whether you did the "Right thing".<br />So it's in your court (pardon pun) as to whether you want to risk it.

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Am planning on putting the gas tank and batteries up front. Will try engine on the boat and if it is stable, I will run with it. If it feels like it may be even the least bit unsafe to me or other fellow boaters I will pull it off and throw the old 15hp merc back on.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

-or look for a trade to be both right, safe AND have the fun!<br /><br />Sounds reasonable to me that you'll give it a try and are prepared to roll back.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

John, <br /><br />I wouldn't be afraid to run it. Would you please let me know if you're still interested in that trailer. I emailed you a while back and never heard back.<br /><br />James

magster65

Commander

Yes it'll float, I'd run it and I'm sure there'll be no problems... but the insurance will likely be void.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

How old's the engine. New engine horsepower is rated at the prop. That old 55 may not put out more than a new 40.<br /><br />...still considered breaking the law unless you reinforce the boat and get it re-certified.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Just upgraded an old boat from a 40 hp merc.(1978 aprox. 155lbs. to a new 50 hp classic,206 lbs). The transom was beefed up as a precaution(even though the boat is rated for 55 hp.) As Cobra said, the old forty was at the head and the new 50 is at the prop. Much more torgue etc. <br /> As for your upgrade I guess if you try it and like it then ok as long as you are aware of any consequences arising from injury, accedents, etc. <br /> Good boating(and fishing)