Will it BLOW

jayhunt3

Cadet
I snapped off a bolt holding the cylinder head on my '83 J 140 v4. Over the next month a leak started. Small drop every 5 seconds. Two months in the leak continues without obvious ill effect. Is it likely that the leak will reach the cylinder and cause it to blow or is there a good chance that the leak in the gasket only goes to the exterior and will not be an issue? Thanks Duxman

dolluper

Captain
Re: Will it BLOW

head cover or head bolt the first thing you see with the cowl off [head cover]

jayhunt3

Cadet

This is one of the bolts that connecte the head to the cylinder block.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

It may already have reached the cylinder. Check out the condition of the spark plugs so you can compare them all and look for difference.<br /><br />I don't think it will make the engine "blow" but it is not good either. Get it fixed and avoid any further problems.

ledgefinder

Ensign

I'd fix it - as Mark42 says, you could start getting cooling water leaking into the cylinders, which will kill your motor.<br /><br />Did you have the head off? Reason I ask is that bolt stub may be very easy to remove. The block is aluminum & the bolt is steel, so when you heat the area up, the parts will expand differently and work their way loose. If you remove the head, most of the time you'll have a stub of bolt left that you can grab with vice grips. HEAT THE THING FIRST with a propane torch - about 60 seconds worth, then try the vice grips. Take your time, you don't want to mess up the stub or your job just got harder. Work it back and forth, taking it easy & spraying on PBBlaster. Don't force it - if it doesn't move use more heat & time. It's the heat/cool cycles that does it.<br /><br />DEFINITELY use a new head gasket when you re-install. Torque it down to specs, then re-torque after the first run or two.

jayhunt3

Cadet

The engine was rebuilt a year ago. I pulled the spark plugs and they are fine. Thanks for the advice on removing the bolt. Duxman

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Dux, winter is coming. Drop the $25 for a gasket, and fix it. Or wait and drop a whole lot more on a rebuild when the water breeches the cylinder. Up to you.

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dude, get that bolt out and replace it. like every one said use a neww gasket.

jolietjake

Cadet

If it's leaking by the gasket to the bolt hole it could just as well be leaking by into the cylinder. Pistons don't like to compress water, much cheaper to repair now than later, especially if saltwater.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Duxman....I think your being urged to fix it... :)