Will electronic Ignition fix Warm start problem?

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
I seem to lose spark when starting the engine after it gets warm, and am thinking of converting to electronic ignition. Is that more reliable than doing a tune-up and staying with points? <br /><br />Would I have to replace the coil if I convert?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Will electronic Ignition fix Warm start problem?

the coil is the same but likely the cause of a warm start no spark issue.

ron7000

Banned

if you are not getting spark and it is the coil, then you'll still have problems if you convert to an electronic ignition and continue to use your original coil. So the fix here would be just the coil. If that's all it is and the engine runs fine otherwise then you can be fixed for $20 in 5 minutes.<br /><br />If you want to go the electronic conversion route then put your money towards that with a new coil and forego a replacement coil for the points ignition. An electronic ignition is more trouble-free and will provide better performance but only if the entire system is 100% which includes the coil and the even the distributor itself. If your current distributor has a lot of years and runtime on it, putting an electronic conversion kit in it may not be worth it. If the gear is sloppy or the mechanical advance doesn't work you'll still have a poor ignition system. You can buy a replacement distributor complete with electronic ignition, for more money of course. You would have to evaluate the condition of your current setup, and decide if it's more practical/economical to just replace your coil and stay with points, keep your original distributor if its good and convert to electronic ign. with new coil, or get a complete new distributor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its usually just easier to test all the components and fix it. if a bad battery or cable or cable connection is the problem odds are electronic ign wont help. sometimes a warm engine takes more current to turn it over, if the cables cannot supply enough current for the ign and accessories while cranking the starter grabs it all and the rest get nothing.<br /> its quick easy and painless to test and all thats required is thought and a DVM.<br /> I have heard tall tales about dist bushing wear but never seen it on a marine engine. its rare in an auto and they typically run quite a few more hours than marine.<br /> I do see the advance mechanisms corrode and occasionally the contact plate will lose its ground, esp on the 3.7L mercruiser. a well maintained set of points will do about anything an electronic set up will. only they require more maint.<br /> after several years of dyno testing below 5500 I have yet to see any performance gains with just an electronic conversion.<br /> you can buy the latest jigga-watt super mega flame monster coil but if all thats requiered to arc the plug gap is 5Kv thats all the coil will produce unless it has a zener built into it.<br />on a stock engine below 5000 RPM its rather worthless but it looks cool on the engine.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

This problem has gotten progressively worse since last year so I replaced the coil yesterday while on the river, and it started up once. Next time it wouldn't start. That's when I found that there was no spark, although every once in awhile I would crank and see a flash. Since I just put in a new coil I didn't want to buy another one.<br /><br />This is a 1984 2.5L GM engine. <br /><br />How do I test the spark advance? Just make sure the spring snaps back? How far should it advance at 2000 or 3000 rpm? I can borrow a timing light with advance offset adjustment.

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds like you're Loosing Primary Voltage,.......<br /><br />Don't worry about the Advance til you get it Running.........

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am wondering if the warm/cold is confusing the issue here. <br /><br />If you take the warm/cold issue out...have you done the simple things like replacing the condenser and points? You have a dwell meter to set the dwell properly?<br /><br />Also, might be worth trying disconnecting your tach. Has it been erratic at all? I have seen bad tachs ground out ignition systems.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK I finally got this going this morning. Last week, boat ran fine if it started, then had no spark when trying to re-start. After replacing battery cables, points, condensor, dist cap, rotor, and coil, still no good. Then replaced the plug wires--started right up. After work I'll set the timing and make sure it restarts hot.<br /><br />Thanks.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

maintetance is so cool.... :)