Will Alpha I mate up to Pre-Alpha?

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a mercruiser I outdrive that has a toasted lower unit. I was under the impression that the alpha was very similar. Does anyone know if the Alpha I will mate up to the pre alpha mount?<br /><br />Matt

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Will Alpha I mate up to Pre-Alpha?

ya could just get a different lower unit too(remanufatured model 1 or alpha 1).<br /> <br />as far as i read, from other posters here, a alpha1 will work in place of a model 1. i'm thinkin pretty hard bouts goin to a sei drive(after my other issures, which are many for me). aint oem, but the price is rightous. thinkin ya need to use the correct gear ratio + the right drive shaft for a 6 or 4. different leanths. at the least ya can use yer old one if serviceable..... that's the way i understand it anyways.....thinkin i'm gonna find out too about how that is too... :(

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Will Alpha I mate up to Pre-Alpha?

Ziggy's got it Right,........<br /><br />Ayuh,...... You Can Up-grade,......But there Are Details......<br /><br />You Should be able to use an Alpha lower unit on Your Upper,.....<br />Or,...<br />Swap out the Whole Drive.......