Will a new shift shaft go right in?

rpaldrich

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I'm working on getting a boat back in the water that has been sitting for the past three years.

It's a 1987 twin engine, Mercruiser 260s mated to Alpha Ones. Serials off the O/Ds are OB-666179 & 666201
Looking at pg 4A17 in manual #6, it says I may need to tap the bell housing to use the new style shift shaft (which is the only one available I think.)

Prior to taking off the shift shaft bellows I wanted to check on here to see if there is a way of knowing if I need to use a tap. It is pretty tight behind the engines, and it is also thru hull exhaust, so there is a block off plate on the transom thru hull prop hole. This pic is the best I could do from inside the boat. The white part at the top of the pic is the shift cable wrapping.
delete002.jpg
. Does this pic show that it is already a newer style shift cable?

If it is the old style, can I tap it without removing the engines?

Thanks

rpaldrich

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Will a new shift shaft go right in?

pics from inside the boat prove nothing. the shift cable installs in the housing
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6A4R3.PDF 4A-2

Do I access that housing from inside the boat or from outside and behind the bell housing? Lets say I have the old style cable, and I need to replace it. Can I just lift the bell housing up and get to the bolt on the shift cable? Looking at my picture, I don't see how I'd access it from the inside of the boat.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Looking at your replies I suggest you ask for the full link to the manual .should be #6 and procede to read it cover to cover
the above section covers the shift cable and you need to be darn sure how to make the proper repairs BEFORE you attempt them.
Not poking a stick in your cage, but you need to understand how it works. aside from the removals ,installs, and adjustments.

rpaldrich

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.... I have the entire manual printed out in front of me (used a couple of reams of paper and half a laser toner cartridge, annnnd a lot of hole punching, and I've read it a number of times, as well as done numerous searches on here for this specific question.) PG 4A-16 talks very vaguely about removing the retaining nut, but not how to remove the shift cable retaining nut, and where to access it from... I've looked at pg 4A-2 and also pg 4B-22 (for a pic of bell housing assembly). The question I have is is the retaining nut accessible from outside the boat w/o removing bell housing,? I can't find the nut or a parts diagram so I don't know where to start.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

the retaining nut is part of the shift cable itself, not an additional item.to remove or install a shift cable you need an extra, extra deep 9/16 socket,or use a donor socket welded to another.you unhook the cable inside the boat, remove the necessary items, and in most cases you need a second set of hands to rotate the cable outer core inside the boatwhile someone unscrews the shift cable itself from outside the boat. If sheath become twisted and kinked, its now junk.If you see a nut in 4a-16 ,you have newe style cables. no nut, you have older style and nneed tyhe special tap.
IMG_1756.jpg

rpaldrich

Seaman Apprentice

Ok that pic helps a lot.... I was having a problem understanding where this nut exactly is...I think I've got it now. It is located aft of the shift shaft bellows- to see the nut if I have a new style cable, I've gotta take off the shift slide, and I guess to see the old style shift cable nut I've gotta lift the bell housing up and look up and underneath. Or am I jacked up in my thinking?

Bondo

Staff member

Ok that pic helps a lot.... I was having a problem understanding where this nut exactly is...I think I've got it now. It is located aft of the shift shaft bellows- to see the nut if I have a new style cable, I've gotta take off the shift slide, and I guess to see the old style shift cable nut I've gotta lift the bell housing up and look up and underneath. Or am I jacked up in my thinking?

Ayuh,.... Yer 87, is an aft mounted, new style cable, that's accessed from Aft of the bellhousing, Outside the boat...