Will a new/diff prop help or I'm I just underpowered?

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1) Performance issue you are trying to correct. Better holeshot. My daughter just started waterskiing and the boat seems to struggle to get her up quickly

2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless as a minimum. Aluminum

3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required). 14 x 17. Came with the boat

4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful). 5200 RPMS, about 37-38 MPH, full load (full tank, 2 adults 2 kids, gear)

5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP. 1996 Johnson Oceanrunner, 115HP

6) Boat make model, year, length and weight . 1996 Four Winns Horizon 190. Boat and engine are just over 2,000 lbs

The manual recommends a 13.25 x 17, but I've been using the prop that came with it. The prop is dinged a little. I have a brand new 14 x 17 that I'm going to try this weekend.

Am I optimally propped and just have to live with the 115hp pushing a 19' boat?

Thanks!

mpsyamaha

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Will a new/diff prop help or I'm I just underpowered?

it sounds like for cruising that you are propped pretty good, but 5200 rpms is on the lower side. for water sports you really will want a 15p prop, it will help the hole shot noticeably. the rpms should be right about where you want them... in the 5500 area.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed. Ignore the diameter and pay attention only to pitch...

Buy a 15 pitch prop for this rig, and your water-skiing holeshot problem will be improved....keep your 17 on board as a spare.

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would a 4-blade be better than going to a 15 pitch? If so, what pitch 4-blade?
Thanks for the help

Sportdog7

Seaman Apprentice

Changing to a lower pitch prop really helped me! But my boat & motor combo is much smaller than yours. But the advice there offering helped my situation!

mpsyamaha

Chief Petty Officer

you could try out a 4 blade prop if you want. 4 blades will help with hole shot, but may take a little top end speed. it will not be "better" than going to a 15p. if you were to use a 4 blade 17p you will lose more rpms on top end and really start to fall out of the power range of the motor. I think that going to a 15p 3 blade is all you really need to do. If you have a local shop that will let you try out different props, then trying a 15p 4 blade wouldnt hurt either.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Would a 4-blade be better than going to a 15 pitch? If so, what pitch 4-blade?
Thanks for the help

I believe a 15 pitch prop, in EITHER a 4 blade or a 3 blade would work fine for you. 4 blades usually have somewhat better holeshot, and possibly at the expense of somewhat slower top speed (but not by much).

Keep in mind that pitch has nothing to do with the number of blades....as long as you get a 15 pitch, in any number of blades, it will pull out of the water much better than it does now.