Will 3.0 litre merc alpha1 turn without PS belt?

I saw a recent response about the replacement of the power steering/alternator belt on the 3.0 mercruiser. Very helpful . It advised to add several of these belts and tying them off . In case of breakage you could replace it on the fly in about 5 minutes . My question here is :

If the power steering belt or the alternator belt was to break out on the water.
A. Would you still be able to steer the boat?
B. Would the motor continue to run - just not charge the battery?

Any help would be great

Gods Favor VIP 1800 :):)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will 3.0 litre merc alpha1 turn without PS belt?

I saw a recent response about the replacement of the power steering/alternator belt on the 3.0 mercruiser. Very helpful . It advised to add several of these belts and tying them off . In case of breakage you could replace it on the fly in about 5 minutes . My question here is :

If the power steering belt or the alternator belt was to break out on the water.
A. Would you still be able to steer the boat?
B. Would the motor continue to run - just not charge the battery?

Any help would be great

Yes & yes......:)

Thanks for the response ! When you answered "yes" to can you steer the boat. did you mean it can be done fairly easily or is it going to be a real bear to turn? With the power steering the boat is super easy to operate. I figured it
probably would be like a car if the belt broke. This winter I will take the spacer out and install several of the spare belts. Just in case ....

Thanks for your help

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the response ! When you answered "yes" to can you steer the boat. did you mean it can be done fairly easily or is it going to be a real bear to turn? With the power steering the boat is super easy to operate. I figured it
probably would be like a car if the belt broke. This winter I will take the spacer out and install several of the spare belts. Just in case ....

Thanks for your help

Well you can steer it, but I would not take someone tubing or skiing....;)
It won't be easy.....

For Me I'm not concerned , but my wife could be operating the boat while I'm
being pulled by it! If the belt (was) to break while underway I just want to be
able to tell her what and what not to do . Like , don't run into that dock!!
Just trying to be safe on the water! So many out there are not...

Thanks chief!

Gods Favor VIP 1800:):):rolleyes:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Well I would not take someone water skiing or tubing, but you will be able to steer......;)

Right now all belts are good, but not new! So I do not know how many hours run time they have on them. The motor is clean and no oil being thrown around
to eat up and soften the belts. Does anyone know about how much the alternator and power steering belts run? 1988 3.0 litre Merc alpha 1...

Thanks to all the friends of the fish!

Gods Favor VIP 1800 :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Think about it

You can turn the wheel when the boat is on the trailer with the engine off right?

I can turn the wheel and turn my drive on my boat when trying to position it into the right spot in my garage. The drive turns like it did on my old 84 Webbcraft that had no power stearing. When my motor is runing and power stearign is working the drive turns like silk. In the water with no power stearing it will be a little harder to turn but it can be done. My X used to drive my old boat and she never complained that stearign was too hard so Im sure your wife can do it to.

These new boats w/ power stearing is NICE!

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just remember that the alternator belt also spins the water pump...... if that one breaks, watch your gauges real close so it don't run hot.

wncrjb

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

It's not really something to lose sleep over. Inspect the belt periodically for your own satisfaction, then enjoy the ride.

Belts don't just break spontaneously in cars or boats. I've replaced mine once since '84. They didn't break, just looked a bit aged. They're quite reliable considering how much they flex.

Awesome advise ! Thanks I did not know about the water pump being driven
by the alternator belt. It looks like from what you guys are saying the alternator
belt is the more critical one in there! So I won't worry about putting a spare PS
pump belt in the loop. Just an extra alternator belt. I figured my Seloc manual
and several others I have for this boat would have a part number for these belts! No way jose' .... I only could find the number on the belt itself.
Same for PS belt. And on that one I can't make out the number.
I did however find a reference to both on the Gates Web site. So here
are the numbers. Remember, for 1988 3.0 mercruiser GM engine 181 cu in

PS belt = ID # 87017370 Part # 7370 Auto v belt xl Pwr. steering 37"
Alt. belt = ID # 87017400 Part # 7400 Auto v belt xl Alt / waterpump 40"

The auto parts stores should carry these anywhere...

Gods Favor VIP 1800 :):):rolleyes: