Wife's introductory boat trip

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not long after I bought my 15 foot boat we went on vacation to seaside holiday town. My wife is not a great water person so I formed a plan to go for a nice quiet morning cruise for breakfast at a cafe near the famous mile long jetty as an introduction. My wife wasn't so keen on the plan but her mother who had joined us for a few days issued orders to her and she was "press ganged" aboard. Well the cruise up was uneventful and we came alongside a smaller jetty. Wife and kids get off uneventfully but I didn't explain to mum-in-law that getting on and off is a question of commitment, commit to the boat until you commit to the jetty. I didn't lose her between the boat and the jetty but it was a close call. About then wife comes back and tells me the jetty ends about 6 feet short of the beach. All I could say is it looks like your going to have to get your feet wet. Not Happy! It was a gray cold weekday and there were no other boats on the water, I didn't have any fenders so the plan was to anchor the stern away from the jetty and have a bow line to the jetty close enough so I could jump over. I set the anchor and pulled the boat forward impressed at my ability to judge the correct length of anchor rope 1st try. With the grace of a natural boatman I jumped to the jetty. I think "that was pretty easy" and turn to watch the boat drift slowly away from the jetty. I had caught my toe on the bow line and flipped it off the boat's bollard. I had one chance to lassoo the boat with the bow line but missed (Hey I'm a boatman not a cowboy) and the boat swings on the stern anchor well out of reach. So I coil the the line and walk down the jetty for breakfast. Mum in law waiting outside the cafe looks at me, the rope in my hand, out to the boat, does the math and bursts out laughing. Breakfast was good then I go swimming and wife takes a taxi home.<br /><br />Cheers from Oz

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Wife's introductory boat trip

Women put up with so much from us guys. Sounds like your wife and her mum are good sports.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wife's introductory boat trip

Better than my wife. Years ago I got a new (whitewater)drift boat, with a motor well. Took my wife and young daughter out into the Columbia River, and sure enough, about 5 minutes out,the new Honda 15 hp engine dies and won't restart. We're 2 miles from shore, the wind is blowing the tops off the white caps, and we could be drifting downriver to the Pacific Ocean and either Japan or Australia. "We're going to die!" my wife screamed tearfully. I knew we weren't, but all my reassurances that this boat was built for 10' white water rapids didn't calm her.<br /><br />Except we weren't drifting downstream: the wind was blowing upstream hard enough to counteract the current. I unlimbered the oars and rowed easily back to the launch ramp (turns out the mechanic forgot to tighten the head).<br /><br />This daughter (and a subsequent one) both came to love the "Rancid Rose" and our many trips...sans motor...down class 5 rapids in the Deschutes, Lewis, Klickitat, White Salmon (and other) rivers. But even today, with a 2 engine 24' Seaswirl WA and halfway to my Master, my wife still isn't sure I know what I'm doing... :( "Well, I remember the day.....(27 years ago....)" :rolleyes: