Wich grease to use.

EQCM2B

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,<br /><br />I'm getting ready to repack the bearings on the boat trailer and would like to know if there is one grease thet is better than the others or are they all pretty much the same. I intend to be putting into salt water once I move to the Gulf Coast, Does this matter or will any bearing grease work. I do not have brakes on the trailer (only 15 foot boat). I know that I need to use wheel bearing grease as I'm somewhat of a shadetree mechanic but I don't drive any deeper in the mud puddles than my 33 inch tires will allow. I have bearing buddies installed already but they were on when I bought the setup so I want to go through all of the bearings to make sure that they are OK. Also can the same grease be used to grease fittings on the motor as well? :rolleyes:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Wich grease to use.

Just make sure its a good marine grade grease. It has additives that lessen the effects of water on grease, so the two do not mix as easily.

wau1252992

Cadet

EQCM2B,<br /> I did a whole lot of research on the topic and I will share. [1] Shorelander says, "Any Marine Grease." [2] Searay says, "Any Marine grease." [3] ETC,ETC,<br />My opinion is that different brands should not be mixed because the different additives may not mix well. I asked the dealer if he serviced the bearing buddies when he delivered my boat to me and he said yes. I asked what lube was used and he said Sierra, so Sierra is what I use. {strange coincidence that the dealer happens to carry Sierra only.}<br /> I would prefer Valvoline, but I would have to buy a case of it {24 tubes} from local distributor because no one uses it here in Omaha. Lubrimatic is good if you can find it. Same problem as Valvoline. The local Walmarts, Sears, Target, K-mart, etc. don't seem to be into boating supplies. Maybe your area is better. <br /> Have a great boating season! Bill

EQCM2B

Seaman Apprentice

I am able to get the Valvoline brand Marine Grease at Walmart, and it says that it is good for wheel bearings and salt water. Only thing is I had never heard of a White Lithium base grease being used for wheel bearings. I have seen the blue type of grease that Mr. Parker mentioned before but I'm not sure that it was Valvoline brand. Does Valvoline make two diffrent Marine type greases? I can also get the Lubrimatic brand at Walmart. Out of these two, which one would be better.

wau1252992

Cadet

EQCM2B,<br /> I am not a lubrication expert, but I am sure that white lithium grease is not the best choice for marine wheel bearings. The Valvoline grease I have used in the past was blue colored. Lubrimatics is red. I hope all goes well in the current boating season, good boating, Bill <br /> :D

EQCM2B

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information. Looks like it will be Lubrimatic at this point and time since I agree with You river boat bill, I am not comfortable of lithium grease in my wheel bearings even if it does say it is marine grease. :cool:

Fishon

Recruit

Since you are moving to the Gulf Coast, I wanted to tell you of the grease I found that works great for me off of the Texas coast. It is called Aqua Lube, I buy it from the same guy every year at the boat show in Houston. I have used it on 3 different boats for over 5 years and will continue to do so. Just thought I would put my 2 cents in..