Why would both carbs not work??

lmoreau12

Cadet
73 evinrude lark 50hp...had a little trouble starting last time, but ran like a champ once it did...did a lot of starting and stopping with no problem.<br /><br />Now, as I get ready to sell, I can't start the thing...Gas is getting through the fuel pump to the carbs when priming, but engine will not start. Engine has fire, and will burn fuel poured into the cyls through the spark holes...<br /><br />I could understand one carb not getting gas to the cyls, but two?? Any ideas?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why would both carbs not work??

Sounds like the choke may not be working. If the solenoid works make sure the linkage is not in the manual off position.

lmoreau12

Cadet

I tried that...auto works fine and closes the valves...also tried manual..still won't start. Also manually played around with the throttle, and no luck... <br /><br />Maybe only top carb is getting primed, and bottom is dry, because something's wrong with the top one?

rwise

Captain

could you have got a little water in the fuel? maybe dirty gas?

lmoreau

Seaman

This is Evin-Newbie at work..hehe<br /><br />Got it working...apparanty there was some crud in the primer port which was keeping the top carb from getting gas. When you prime the carb, it's supposed to overflow into the second carb via gravity, but this was not happening, as when I removed the bowl, it was dry. Blew air in the ports, re-assembled, and it started right up..now I have to go re-adjust the needles...