Why would an outboard Mechanic?

FLORIDAHAL

Recruit
Why would an outboard engine Mechanic give me back my boat with a coil pack mounted like this when the coils were all bolted in when I brought the boat in for a Trigger Timer Base replacement?

I was told that there is some kind of performance benefit from this, is this a real possibility or is it that the mechanic stripped my assembly?

It is bolted in with a single boat, with some fuel line hose snugging it from behind. I am a bit baffled by this, it does not make sense to me...

Attachments

• 20240324_155507.jpg
    20240324_155507.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240324_155513.jpg
    20240324_155513.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The performance benefit is that the mechanic didn't have to admit he screwed up.

You need a new mechanic.

Get a new bolt. Coat the threads with anti-seize. Push it n covered with JB Weld and once it cures you should be OK.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Or just run it if it runs fine.

Not sure how old or what size it is.

Personally, I'd go confront the guy unless you got what you paid for....always a slippery slope.

FLORIDAHAL

Recruit
Thank you all again for your quick replies, and valuable input! I appreciate it!!
I am a Computer Scientist and IT services expert by trade, and I wanted to try a new repair shop local here in town... He was able to repair what I told him to on the second visit for the same problem, on the first visit is when the event occurred. Oh well...
I will be able to make the repairs myself now that I have watched YouTube on Helicoil repairs...
I just do not understand why people simply do not do the right thing anymore and simply tell the truth, and make good on things... very discouraging...

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I hear you.

As to the heli-coil, you're not sure you even need it. So in regards to that, let me tell you what you're up against.

First you want to get anything away from you you can't be in the way at least as far as outboard parts wise. Then you need to use some penetrating oil and everybody has their own concoction, but mine is tranny fluid and acetone. But there's many many things that work. Then you need heat and lots of it heat and cold heat and cold heat and cold sometimes you want to wait a week. Then you want the best center punch money can buy. There's a stub sticking out grind it flat and center punch it perfectly in the middle it's a stainless bolt and it's a pain in the ass. Once you get that perfect hole an outcome the drill bits when I say drill bits I mean drill bits. Now the next problem is keeping a regular drill motor straight, that's another tuffy. Then you start drilling out and I'm going to skip forward a little bit once you drill out and you've heated it and oiled it and all that other crap right at the end you hope it just unscrews itself, and it happens. Otherwise now you're ready for the helicoil.

As an it man, as you say you are, I think I'd analyzed it a little bit more and see if it really even matters or matters that much. Cuz I know my it guy that works on my computers, he'd rather solve it by going around it than even trying to do it.

Just an observation,
Matt

tphoyt

Ensign
Take the bolt out and see what you find. Maybe they lost the bolts and that one was too long so the hose was used as a spacer. Who knows.