WHY???? WHY why why?????

SoulWinner

Commander
Man alive, the morning Google went public I was set to buy, but I hesitated. Strike while the iron is hot, right? Well I mulled it over and decided to wait, and dang if it didn't take off. Today it's at $273. Now I am asking myself "what the hell were you thinking????? Why didn't you buy?????" All this while Ford stock is tanking. Folks, just be glad I'm not managing your portfolio. Sheesh, I'm a moron! :rolleyes:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: WHY???? WHY why why?????

Yea, don't ya just hate that?<br />I was lucky enough to aquire some goodyear stock back in 1975 and I still have them.

SoulWinner

Commander

Wow, goodyear has been kind of eratic. Looks like 1998 would have been a good time to sell. It was up around $80 back then.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Buy high sell low, I always say!<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Ken

mattttt25

Commander

wasn't there a post around here where most said it was overhyped and to stay away?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Did the same on some equity awards last year. After I sold they went up $.75 a share. Duh!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, SW. Dumb.<br /><br />Like not betting the farm on number 22 which just came up on the roulette wheel.<br /><br />Call it investing, call it gambling.<br /><br />I made a ton (on paper) on a stock called Enron. :(

PW2

Commander

It is called the "Greater Fool" theory of stock investing, in that you are betting that no matter what you pay for a stock, there will be a greater fool than you willing to pay more.<br /><br />I won't invest in anything where I don't understand the basic business model, or think it vulnerable, and to me "Google" fits in this category. They sell spots to various vendors to be at the top of the list based on the individual search, and skews the results of the search in favor of their advertisers.<br /><br />Someone is going to come up with a better search engine that is more useful, and less skewed, and when that happens, Google will be toast.<br /><br />Maybe, maybe not. But betting on future growth, with a P/E ratio of 30 or more, with little or no tangible assets, is too risky for me.