Why was there water in my oil, but not now?

THard

Cadet
I recently discovered a crack in my block, I did a compression check on the heads and had great comp. Rather than shell out $1700-$2700 dollars for a new engine I decided to try a patch I had it done at a marine shop, it looks great, is holding up in my drive but I haven't had it in water yet. After putting my exhaust Manifold and acc. back on I started it up let it run for 20 min. it never got above 170 degrees. After shutting down I checked the oil, As milky as can be. I was so disappointed I thought I had an internal crack. I drained the oil, put 2 quarts in with the plug out, and cleaned the old filter the best I could. Put new oil in and ran it, it was not as milky but it definitely had water in it. Today I go get 8 quarts of oil and new filter. I drain the old oil and run 2 quarts in it with the plug out, put the new filter in and fill it with oil,BAMMM!, no water and the oil pressure stayed the same. So where did the water come from originally? It's an OMC 3 liter 4 cyl on an 89 Bayliner :confused: :confused:

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Why was there water in my oil, but not now?

i would be very careful when u launch it. when u run the motor on muffs there is a less amount of water pressure compared to when the boat is actaully in the water. i've got the same engine u got & had water in the oil. i changed the head gasket, ran it off the muffs & found no water in the oil. when i launched it it ran for less than 5 min. & stalled. when i checked the oil, it was full of water! luckily, it didn't hydro lock. i'm going to put a new manifold & elbow in & see if that solves the problem, as i don't think the block is cracked. if i were u i would pull the manifold & elbow & have them pressure tested. mine's an 87 & i've told that those manifolds are only good for 10 yrs. or so, then they begin to rust out internally. by the way did u apply gasket sealer to the elbow, manifold mating mating surface? that could also be a source of a leak. use permatex ultra black on this area.

CTdave

Recruit

Where is the crack in the block located?<br />Water galleries run through the block and just because you patched the exterior doesn't mean the interior portion of the crack still exists.<br />The only way to repair a crack is to have it welded inside and out.<br />As Sea Wolf pointed out, your not going to have nearly the same water pressure while running it on a hose. I would place a bet that the problem is going to re appear.<br />Also, do yourself a favor and replace the exhaust manifold & risor. They are over due and when a exhaust leak occurs, it is sudden death due to hydro locking.<br />Look at the inside of your manifold and riser, you will probably see traces of water/rust.<br />Good luck to you!<br />Dave<br />Crew Chief/Driver<br />F2-07 Offshore Racing

f_inscreenname

Commander

If you just dumped a couple of qts of oil through your motor without running it,you never got all of the bad oil out. Oil goes every where (or you have other problems)oil pump,heads.....You just did a better rinse the second time. I would keep a close,close eye on it.

THard

Cadet

thanks for the input everyone. The crack, Dave, is along the top at about 3/4" down. There is rust on the inside of the manifold so I guess I need to do that next. I appreciate it and happy boating! :cool: :cool:

petryshyn

Commander

THard<br />In trying to determine if you still have water content in your oil, try this little trick.<br /><br />>start your car (or truck) and run until engine warm. Shut engine off. Open hood.<br />>pull dipstick from inboard engine and allow a drop of oil from the dipstick to fall on the hot exhaust manifold of you car.(just a drop)<br />>If the oil sizzles, there's water present. If the oil only smokes......no water. Try this with new oil as well, just to see the difference :)

THard

Cadet

Well everyone the sad news is I do have water in the oil after running it a bit on the water, I need to get a used engine if anyone catches one anywhere let me know. Once again thanks for everything.<br /> :(

f_inscreenname

Commander

THARD <br /> Been there.Sorry to here it.<br /> Mark