why take the plug off??

ronatim

Cadet
newbie question,

heard many stories about people launching their boats and forgot about the plug. But why take it off the first place??

When i retrieves my boat, i take it out to see if any water drain out, if not i put it right back so there are no chance that i will forget next time.

It's there a reason to keep it off during travel and storage??

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: why take the plug off??

Since I store my boat in my garage right now, my plug stays in all the time except for when I pull it right after pulling out of the lake to drain. It then goes back in. I would imagine if I parked the boat in the yard where rain could accumulate, I would jack the front up and leave the plug out to drain.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lets see...Reasons for removing the drain plug:
1. If you take on any water while out on the water
2. If you store your boat outside and it rains
3. If you hose your boat out after you use it

Three reasons there...Anyone want to help continue the list?

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe his point is why not put it back in after number 1 or 3? Number 2 I can understand leaving it out.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I leave mine out when it's on the trailer just so everything can dry out, granted it ain't much but it seems to help some. My deck doesn't drain into the bilge so that's not an issue for me.

ronatim

Cadet

Lets see...Reasons for removing the drain plug:
1. If you take on any water while out on the water
2. If you store your boat outside and it rains
3. If you hose your boat out after you use it

Three reasons there...Anyone want to help continue the list?

Yes, these are all reasons to remove the plug, but is there any to keep it off??

How can a person forget if you take it off to drain and put it right back (with the plug in your hand)??

If it was parking outside and it rain, can't you just drain it before each trip and put it right back instead of leaving it off??

It's seems like the people that forget are leaving the plug off and store the plug somewhere else, what is the reason for that??

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yea,you could leave the plug in while parked outside...let the water build up and rot the stringers out....:rolleyes:

You want the bilge to stay as dry as possible.It helps keep mildew and other problems from starting.
Why park it with the plug in unless its stored indoors..
Geeze! Takes 2 seconds to put the plug in...

ronatim

Cadet

Yea,you could leave the plug in while parked outside...let the water build up and rot the stringers out....:rolleyes:

You want the bilge to stay as dry as possible.It helps keep mildew and other problems from starting.
Why park it with the plug in unless its stored indoors..
Geeze! Takes 2 seconds to put the plug in...

Aluminum and fibre glass shouldn't rot?? should it?

There are boats that stays on water all year around, if they're not worry about mildew, should i be?

It's just seems the result of forgetting to plug in is way to much greater than to just leave it in and just do the quick drain and back in.

sorry, i'm a newbie.

mphy98

Lieutenant

I agree that if you store outdoors the plug should always be out, just in case of rain, snow whatever, it is easier to put a plug back in than deal with mold, mildew, rotted stringers,ect

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

fiberglass does not rot, but the wood in the deck and stringers does rot...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

my plugs are ALWAYS out unless the boat is in the water. Like others mentioned, you want it as dry as possible. Even leaving it out for the drive home will make a big differences in helping get any water out that might have accumulated.

I've NEVER launched with it out... Yes, it is possible! Always do a walkaround before splashdown checking critical things. (plug in, fuel valves open, winch attached, key in, etc...)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have seen many I/O's with water down the carb, because the plug was left in.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

Aluminum and fibre glass shouldn't rot?? should it?

There are boats that stays on water all year around, if they're not worry about mildew, should i be?

It's just seems the result of forgetting to plug in is way to much greater than to just leave it in and just do the quick drain and back in.

sorry, i'm a newbie.

a boat on the water or on a trailer thats covered is allways at risk from mold and mildew if not properly vented. some of the nastyest interiors i have seen are in boats on slips that have been let go
no reason to be sorry. its your boat and if you feel more comfortable with it in then leave it in.
personaly,for all the above reasons i wouldnt consider leaving a plug in.
i know a fellow that leaves his in and depends on his bilge pump to keep the water out. to me this is risky and the bilge pumps i have seen never get all the water any way.

salty87

Commander

you don't have to take the plug out. just be aware that it can fill up with water under the right (bad, in this case) scenario. if none of those scenarios applies to you, no need to take the plug out.

i think you hear so many stories because lots of boats sit for loooong periods between uses. those who left their plugs in and got caught in the rain have flooded carbs, rusted oil pans, rotted stringers. those who took their plugs out last labor day and haven't used the boat since then are mostly doomed to forget the plug on memorial day.

the rest of us who use our boats regularly either take care that they don't fill up or set up some sort of reminder that they need to replace the plug before launching.

as always, whatever works for you.

haulnazz15

Captain

We also leave the plug out unless the boat is in the water. Bilge pump cannot be relied on, and it isn't that big of a deal if you forget to put it in, as long as you figure it out before the bilge fills completely up! Once you're underway, water will flow back out of the bilge due to the lower pressure, you can always jump in the water and put the plug in (assuming you brought it with you). I always keep a spare in the glove box. We also have the plug attached to the bottom of the gimbal housing with a small, thin cable so we will never forget it. Even if I don't remember to put it in (has never happened) it would be hanging there next to the hole ready to go in.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

newbie question,

When i retrieves my boat, i take it out to see if any water drain out, if not i put it right back so there are no chance that i will forget next time.

I hope you at least check to verify the plug is still there before you launch.

Hope you never run into a snot nosed kid that likes to take boat plugs out when he is walking past.

ronatim

Cadet

I hope you at least check to verify the plug is still there before you launch.

Hope you never run into a snot nosed kid that likes to take boat plugs out when he is walking past.

i store the boat inside my garage, so no one will mess with it except me:D

i will leave the plug off after all these reasons as mentioned. will put a sticky note on the wheel chock as a reminder.

Maclin

Admiral

Remembering is a 2 way street, whether to remember to put it in or to remember to take it out. I guess it depends a little bit on the world you live in, like the world that a sticky note never falls off, everyone always has a pen and sticky note handy, etc.

The only reason to leave it in when not in the water is so you don't forget to put it back in. Many many reasons to leave it out while on the trailer even in your own garage seems to me. Bow up, plug out, pretty simple, good habit. And....Always check the plug just prior to launching. These guidelines will help if you ever have to interrupt your routine at all.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another reason that comes to mind is water that may accumulate in the bilge can freeze and cause expansion damage. I always take out my plugs, it's a good habit to get into to check plugs before launching.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

In my book it doesn't matter which method you employ because your pre-launch routine should always include a check of the plug. You don't leave anything to chance. If you're incapable of remembering a specific pre-launch routine, carry a checklist like pilots do. Mine is second nature for me now. If someone interrupts me while performing my pre-launch check, I have been known to start over ;)