Why is their fuel from this fitting while filling the tank?

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Guessing I already know the answer but want to make sure it's not something more serious. While pouring some fresh gas in the tank from a little two gallon gas can had a problem. The first quart or so seemed fine. Then fuel started backing out of the little chrome fitting on the side of the boat. Was coming out about as fast as it had been poured in on top.

Am guessing that's an overflow fitting? And this mean my fill hose to the tank is plugged or crimped or collapsed or something else bad. If so it goes underneath the drivers seat so I'll remove that and see else has to be done to get to it. If it means something else bad go ahead and share the bad news.

Attachments

• gas hole.jpg
    gas hole.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1
Re: Why is their fuel from this fitting while filling the tank?

Sounds to me like the gas tank is already full - the additional fuel had nowhere to go but out the vent.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

It should be the vent to your tank...
the tank must have been full??

Maclin

Admiral

Where is the tank on that boat? That vent is low, below the rubrail just does not seem prudent.

UncleWillie

Captain

If that is the tank vent something is wrong!
The vent should be at or above the fill cap, not below it.
The fill hose should overflow before the vent .

Fuel Fitting1.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral

Sounds like the tank was all ready full and the vent was spilling excess fuel.

If that is the tank vent something is wrong!
The vent should be at or above the fill cap, not below it.
The fill hose should overflow before the vent .

Different boats, different fitting locations... The vent fitting on my boat is below the rub rail and about 4-6" below the fuel fill fitting. If I'm filling the tank and don't stop the "full bore" flow when the tank is approaching full, the vent will spit fuel.

Maclin

Admiral

Ihaveabrownboat, does your brown boat have the tank up front, closed bow configuration?

What about yours Fishrdan, is your tank up front in a closed bow?

fishrdan

Admiral

What about yours Fishrdan, is your tank up front in a closed bow?

Belly tank, vent is about 2' above the tank.

My old boat had a bow tank, the vent was the same level as the tank and below the rub rail, but the vent line looped up about 12" above the tank.

UncleWillie

Captain

Different boats, different fitting locations... The vent fitting on my boat is below the rub rail and about 4-6" below the fuel fill fitting. If I'm filling the tank and don't stop the "full bore" flow when the tank is approaching full, the vent will spit fuel.

I am not disagreeing. :D
It just seem that Fill Low/Vent High would be a much better design and prevent all the spilled fuel issues.

I have a Boat that was built after the CARB laws went into effect.
I suspect that a lot has changed over the years.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the answers. I was given some old pics of this boat and that fitting has been there for at least 25 years. So not a recent addition that's misplaced.

Not sure how to describe tank location. It's in the center (front to back and side to side) under the floor. I considered that the tank might be full but discounted it because the boat has been setting for a long time and the gauge only comes up to a 1/4 tank when you turn the key on.

There's a round cover in the center of the floor that I'm assuming is over the sending unit for service. It'll be easier to pull that and look at the tank as a first thing then it will to pull the seat and some side upholstery that would be necessary to get at the fill and overflow hoses. Who knows what I'll find.

etracer68

Ensign

To OP, that fitting is a "VENT" not over flow. It should be above the top of the fuel tank. I have had boats that it would "over flow" when the tank was full, and some that it never over flowed, unless the fuel was filled to a point it was filling the filler tube or hose. It should be below the fill point, yet above the tank. It should always have the opening facing down to back of the boat too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the vent issue has been sufficiently covered.

how long was the boat sitting before you got it? yes, the round access cover should be for the fuel sender. if the boat has been sitting for a long time, the fuel may have turned. you can verify when you pull the sender and look in the tank.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Right- same on mine. However, there is/should be a 'vented loop' in the vent hose that brings the highest point of the hose up to approximately the level of the fuel fill- it's primarily to keep water out of the tank (water can't flow UP the loop), but also serves to prevent premature fuel spillage as you fill the tank.

UncleWillie

Captain

Right- same on mine. However, there is/should be a 'vented loop' in the vent hose that brings the highest point of the hose up to approximately the level of the fuel fill- it's primarily to keep water out of the tank (water can't flow UP the loop), but also serves to prevent premature fuel spillage as you fill the tank.

Yes, that would permit a vent outlet below the fill fitting.
As long as the Vent hose internally rises above the fill fitting it can not overflow when filling.

Is is possible the internal fill hose has been replaced and re-routed (Shortened) so the loop above the fill fitting was eliminated?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Since both lines rely on gravity, it does not matter where the vent is in relation to the fill as long as the vent is above the top of the tank. The loop in the fuel line is to stop the filtration of water back into the tank

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have an answer for this one. The fuel ran out of the overflow so quickly because... well.... because the tank was full of gas.

The gauge showed a 1/4 tank and fell back to empty with the switch off. I didn't expect someone to send a boat away with a full tank of full.

Sending unit is bad. Fuel in the tank seems good though. See nothing but fuel. Nothing floating in the bottom. Smells normal.

Tank is only six inches deep though. Sending unit didn't quite want to fish out of the hole. But it did. Aluminum tank too. I expected it to be plastic or fiberglass under the floor of the boat. Guess I don't have to worry so much about ethanol in the fuel now. Wonder how much gas a 6" deep tank holds? Can't tell what it's full dimensions are.

TilliamWe

Banned

Siphon it out, that'll tell you how much it holds! ;)

fishrdan

Admiral

Wonder how much gas a 6" deep tank holds? Can't tell what it's full dimensions are.

No way to know with out the other dimensions and the tank's shape. Some belly tanks have the bottom canted up on each side, 6" in the middle, 3" at the side. My 27 gallon tank is approximately 6" deep, 27" wide, 50" long, but the bottom of the tank is angled up on each side which reduces it's capacity, probably 25%,,, or so...

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Siphon it out, that'll tell you how much it holds! ;)

Think I'm actually going to do just that. The tank is completely full. It's not dirty and I don't see any water in the bottom. Got no idea how old this fuel is though. Prior owners thought it's been there a long time. The engine starts and runs and muffs. But no idea how it might respond under a load. While the sending unit is out will be a good time to drain it. No good reason no to know for sure I'll be starting with a good load of fuel.

UncleWillie

Captain

Since both lines rely on gravity, it does not matter where the vent is in relation to the fill as long as the vent is above the top of the tank. The loop in the fuel line is to stop the infiltration of water back into the tank

It does not matter where the vent is in relation to the fill as long as the loop in the vent line is above the the fill.
The loop in the vent line will stop the infiltration of water back into the tank, and it will also stop an overfilled tank from pouring out the vent.

If the vent loop is above the fill, the overflow will never make it over the top of the loop before it comes pouring back out of the fill.
When filling a tank it is expected that an overfill will produce a fuel spill at the fill fitting.
The normal person will not be expecting gas to first appear at a fitting somewhat removed from the fill fitting.
When I fill a fuel tank I expect that if I overfill it I am going to get gas all over my hands.
I do not expect that the first indication of an overfill will be gas all over my shoe.

If the vent is just above the Fuel Tank Top, over filling the tank up the fill hose will cause the excess fuel to overflow out of the vent line.
The over flow will continue to flow out the vent until all the excess gas in the fill hose come down to the level of the vent fitting.
This sets up a bad situation because the user then needs to be filling the tank and not looking at what he is doing at the fill fitting, but looking at the vent fitting to assure that an overfill situation is not happening inadvertently.

*** The normal way of filling a tank is to continue to fill until the fuel pump senses fuel backing up the fill hose and trips the fuel handle auto shut down.
If the vent fitting/loop is below the fill fitting, A fuel spill happens every time. ***

Additionally if the vent loop is above the tank but below the fuel fitting, depending on the geometry, a potential fuel spill can happen every time the boat accelerates on the water or on the trailer.
Fuel rushing back up the hoses in an acceleration will not hit the inside of the fuel cap first, it will go out the vent fitting first.
You could be loosing fuel to the road or the water and never even know it.

A level of idiot proofing should be included in the design, especially if the cost of the safety feature is close to nil.