why is oil being pumped out the vent tube ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i own a 1984 seaswirl with a 3.0 4cyl.with a omc out drive this is my first inboard is this normal? it has a lot of oil comming out of the tube from the valve cover to the air cleaner when i bought her she did not have a pcv valve just a elbow and a hose to the cleaner other than than that it runs great<br /><br /> [/LIST] <br /> :confused: <br />

Scottj25

Seaman
Re: why is oil being pumped out the vent tube ?

I have the same set up on my 3.0, so yes the setup seem to be normal with out the PCV, as for the oil I would say no. I can't give you a reason for the oil being pumped out the vent hose, so at this point I would re post the ? "why is oil being pumped out of my breather hose" or something along that line.

rogerwa

Commander

I beleive they would call that excess oil, "blowby". I beleive it indicates excessive clearances in the valves.<br /><br />More knowledgable engine folks would need confirm this..

daveswaves

Ensign

Like roger says, probably blow by......unless your crankcase is over full. Check the dip stick, more is not better. If the oil is milky color you could have water in the oil and it is foaming out the breather tube.

no the oil level is fine no foaming it looks like <br />i poured oil right from the container. it runs quiet and smooth no milky oil it runs real good other than the blow oil. very frustrating

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the oil is in excessive amount, it does sound like blow-by. This is usually caused by worn piston rings. Another possibility is your air filter may be plugged up. I'm not sure of your setup so I'm guessing here but I think the crankcase vent ties in after the air cleaner. In other words the pipe enters the air cleaner housing on the inside of the filter. If the filter is plugged then you are creating an excess vacuum on the engine crankcase.<br /><br />If I'm wrong about the crankcase venting and that's not the problem, a compression check would be a good idea.<br /><br />good luck :)

thanks i did not think about the air cleaner<br />it is a crome looking filter one piece the hose hooks to a strap on the cleaner on the outside could this be the same thing ?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The oil comming out the crank case vent hose is caused by blow by. This is 100 percent normal. As piston ring wear with lots of miles get more blow by. You have no air filter only a back flame arrestor and it will have no effect on blow by. The Back Flame Arrestor should be cleaned now and then as if it gets plugged up it can effect fuel mileage. Just wipe it off and brush with solvent. Then I poor some solvent thru it from the outside, not in the boat ofcourse.<br />Things you can do for the oil. Make sure you are useing the reccomended straight 30 weight oil. You can overhaul engine and put new rings in. Also there are Backflame Aresstors where the hose actually connects to the aresstor instead of just pointing the open hose toward it and hoping carb will suck up blow by. You could drill the intake manifold or find a sourse of vaccum and install an actual pvc valve then readjust che carb. The Back flame aresstor is required by Coast Guard and is a important safety device. Are you actually loosing oil or just getting a little film of oil out.

yes i loose about a quart every hour or so the air cleaner is crome in color with a bunch of tight vents

Boatist

Rear Admiral

A quart an hour is way too much. Did this start all at once or just get worse over time??? You have a major problem. Carberator has a back Flame aresstor on it not an air cleaner. It function is to prevent a backfire from causeing an explosion. I would check timing first, if it is way too far advanced will cause increased blow by. Then I would do a compression check, you must have broken rings or a hole in a poston or something.

it happend all at once and i guess you know now im a newbie to the inboard thing

Status
Not open for further replies.