Why is it called "world series"?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Why is your national baseball competition called "World series" when only America play? Doesn't a "World series" require the rest of the world to compete?<br /><br />Chris..........

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Why is it called "world series"?

Isn't the good ol' USA "the World"??? We are the BEST after all.....

NYMINUTE

Captain

If you look at rosters of the teams you will see crystal clearly why. Honestly I don't know. I guess the world was smaller when it all began.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

It is pretty stupid to call it the World Series. It probably dates back to when only the USA played baseball and thus it was the "World of Baseball" World Series. The name just stuck.<br /><br /> They should have the best teams from each country face each other.<br /><br />Oh yea, we just had that a few months ago called the Olympics. American got its butt handed to them.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good question Chris.<br />The little league has a world series and it involves many teams from around the world.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Oh yea, that team from Tom's River is good.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

If it were truly a "World" series, there would be no contest. While there are a large number of foreign (mostly Latin American) players on the rosters of all major league clubs, the overall pool of players is littered with Americans who would kick the collective butt of any team any other country could produce.<br /><br />Yes, the Little League is a true World Series; and, more often than not, the International team wins. There are a number of reasons for this apparent contradiction to what I stated above. I believe many teams find ways to load their rosters despite the rules about how large a specific league is. Also, at that age, the difference between players is often a matter of which child has developed more at an earlier age than the others.<br /><br />As to the Olympics, America did not even qualify for the tournament. So, it is not correct to say we got our butt kicked unless you are referring to the tournament qualifier.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Before you all go off on me .. this is only my opinion.<br /><br />I believe it to be an attention getter to the most boring "sport" known to man kind.<br /><br />yes.. boring to play and to watch.<br /><br /><br />****************************************************************<br /> <br />A group of scientists at Harvard University have discovered a cure for apathy...<br /><br />-<br />-<br />-<br />-<br />-<br /><br />However, no one is paying the slightest bit of intrest to them....<br /><br />*****************************<br /><br /> :D :p

Carphunter

Commander

The word "Superbowl" was already taken. :p

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> Before you all go off on me .. this is only my opinion.<br /><br />I believe it to be an attention getter to the most boring "sport" known to man kind.<br /><br />yes.. boring to play and to watch.<br />
Barlow,<br /><br />Sorry if I'm off base here but that is the standard comment of anyone who either never played a particular sport or sucked when they did. It has never failed to amaze me how many times I've heard those exact words when I played football, soccer, baseball, and volleyball. The same comments have been said to my kid who is an excellent athlete. I'm not saying you're either of those but it shore do sound like a cat tryin to bark to me.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Baseball is the only game in the world.You can go buy a beer, eat peanuts and talk and sing with the crowd and be totally relaxed mostly because nothing of interest will have happened on the field during all that time.Sort of like cricket.<br />Most other spectator sports are for exitement,base ball is pure relaxation.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Prof.... you have your opinions ...I have mine.<br /><br />just remember...<br /><br />"assumption is the mother of all F-ups"<br /><br />If you'ld like my athletic resume... just say so.<br /><br /><br />I played organised sports from the time I was 4yrs old ... and yes, at 4 it was very organised.<br /><br />anywho .. If ya want I'll photograph a few things for a personal e-mail..<br /><br />just don't think this is the time or place to post or boast it...<br /><br />after all.. as I stated - it is my opinion.<br /><br />but, an ejumicaded 1... ;) <br /><br />wait ... wouldn't that be an hypothesis??<br /><br /> :D :p

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Well, Achris, there actually is an answer, I heard it once, but don't remember it. <br />It musta been before the discovered world, you know, chris columbus, and before the abbos gave austrailia to england, stuff like that...sl

Tin lid

Cadet

The world series is name after a now defunked news paper from New York city. The World...This from a Hockey loving Canuck. BTW Hello everybody Tin Lid here.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I don't recall Austrailia submitting a team to compete in the world series...maybe someday I suspect...just a thought :)