Why is diesel so expensive?

ZmOz

Captain
I know why petrolium products in general are so expensive right now, but why is diesel so much more than gas? Yesterday at Chevron it went up to $2.75, regular is still "only" $2.41. Everyone knows diesel is easier to make than gasoline...and it always used to be cheaper. Why is it suddenly more expensive?

D

DJ

Re: Why is diesel so expensive?

1. Supply and demand.<br /><br />2. Diesel is under "flux" right now. New formulas are being launched.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

That really skyrockets the rates of freight, i run a small retail store and in the last year alone i've seen an average increase of 27% in my shipping costs, that cost is obviously past on to the clientele :(

D

DJ

The new "formulas" are purely a mandate by the federal government/EPA.<br /><br />But we all know that the federal government cares about us. :rolleyes:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Because it can be!!!! The demand for diesel has grown as the general driving public purchases more diesel powered vehicles. Just look at the number of light trucks on the road equipped with diesels.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Taxes on diesel are 6 cents more per gallon of diesel than gas in my state

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Heating oil/fuel very close to diesel fuel and the demand is just starting to rise.<br /><br />Bob

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> Greed OZ, Just plain old Greed!!!!
There was another thread where Kenimpzoom told us that there is 42 gals of oil per a barrel, now it stands to reason that if oil is $64.00 per a barrel, the oil sold on the market costs $1.52 per Gal, adding the cost of refining, shipping and other forms of transportation prior to the gas stations, could you tell us where the greed lies?

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br />
Originally posted by Vlad D Impeller:<br /> could you tell us where the greed lies?
Saudi Arabia
The OPEC cartel and other oil producing nations are raking in hugh amounts of wealth. but the real culprits are the oil traders and speculators on the Rotterdam spot market, and they do not manufacture nor produce zip.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Vlad is right. The prices are only partly caused by demand. It is the futures that are predicted when a yak farts in venezuela, and it is speculated that the fart might cause a shortage in oil, and then someone just tosses in a best guess as to what the price should be. Its all a racket, but there is not much we can do except conserve.

malagaoth

Seaman

diesel $1.60 per litre (about a quart) in the UK<br />a bit less in Eire

txswinner

Banned

Vlad, yes a barrel of oil cost someone $64 per barrel, but to get into the price line in Saudi the cost is about $2.38 per barrel. Now Exxon, B&R and Halliburton control all the oil in Iraq and let's say it is double to the pipeline. That is $5.00 per barrel. No Iraq is not getting the profit but guess who is. Check the income to management and profit profiles.

txswinner

Banned

It is a multi level monopolistic enterprize. Something new and improved for future economist.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> It is a multi level monopolistic enterprize. Something new and improved for future economist.
I think its called capitalism, prices are set to what the market will bear.

crab bait

Captain

that's right..<br /><br />this is the other side of capitalism..<br /><br />what's wrong that companies making money..