Why does the newbie get to be chief?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Why don't the other eight choose a chief from amongst themselves & let the new guy work his way up? Seems like they're all getting passed over for promotion.<br /><br />Seriously, it doesn't seem logical, anybody know the ins & outs of this transaction?<br /><br />thanks,

KRS

Banned
Re: Why does the newbie get to be chief?

What would you be referring to?<br /><br />The new guy who?<br /><br />The eight who?<br /><br />I can begin to guess.... but I hate doing that.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I believe he be talking about the JUSTICES

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Chief Justice of the supreme court. <br /><br />Judge Roberts was nominated as Chief Justice, to fill the vacancy left by the death of Chief Justice Rehnquist.<br /><br />Sorry, can't imagine why you didn't know what I was thinking. Doh! :eek:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Read the Constitution, and a bit of history.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Is there a precedence for this in there JB? I can't find it. Only this. "When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside" I guess if Bush is worried about it, it makes sense, otherwise, I don't get it either.

KRS

Banned

Young Grasshopper, you must seek the answer with your heart... only then will you receive the answer.... or maybe JB will just tell us.

K5WAS

Seaman

The constitution provides for the president to appoint the supreme court justices. It also provides for the chief to be appointed by him. We have only had 16 chief justices since this country has been formed. That is because they try to get the youngest person for the job so his term is at least a generation. All of the sitting justices are to old for that to happen. Roberts is an excellant choice.

KaGee

Admiral

Politics......<br /><br />If he nominated an existing Justice, that would have to be confirmed. Then he would still face a confirmation process for Roberts and yet a third for a replacement for Renquist.<br /><br />In short he (Bush) would have three fights. This way, he has only two.<br /><br />After yesterday... who could stand a third confirmation! Blah, Blah, Blah!!!!

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I see... said the blind man. Learned something new today. Was never good in history. Thanks for the insight. :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Read the Constitution, and a bit of history.
good answer, in the classic iboats style...read the manual! :D :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The best known precedent for nominating a Chief Justice not previously in the Court was Howard Taft.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I read in USA Today that of all the previous Chief Justises, the majority became Cheif as a rookie. I guess it really lets the Prez leave his mark.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks for the info guys. It makes sense now. :)

D

DJ

Why? Because nobody that's been around wants the job. Just kidding. ;)

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, and here I thought it was "Hooper drives the boat, Chief".

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, a chief justice is more or less there for life. Meaning he is a public servant, unelected who will preside till he dies, goes comatose, commits treason or quits. They do not have to answer questions or opinions about anything even though they will be their for life. <br /> What a sweet job. And they say people hate lawyers.