Why do lakes have quiet hours?

robsp2000

Cadet
Maybe this is just in Connecticut but a bunch of lakes near me have rules for Sundays. Like from 12-4, no faster then 6mph. For a lot of people the weekend is there best chance to get out on the lakes and this pretty much kills Sunday. I don't get it, at first I thought it was because it was for people to fish, but mid day is exactly the best time to do that. So I really can't figure it out.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Why do lakes have quiet hours?

12-4 Sunday afternoon is maximum pleasure boat traffic almost anywhere. On crowded lakes, It is not only noisy but dangerous, with a lot of people near each other all going fast.

So maybe some people think that they should have peace and quiet on Sunday, and in addition reduce the likelyhood of accidents.

hiflyer

Seaman Apprentice

Try those mulit million dollar homes and condos around the lakes. They do not like OUR noise. They Vote with their wallets open. They would ban us if they could. Its THEIR lake u know. Same story all over Fl. Beach Rgs
unherd of 25 yrs ago Rivers , no wake zones go forever.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm Betting it has to do with the "Blue Laws",....Found Only in most of the New England states.........

Maine has repealed Most,.. But Not All of them.......

It Used to be that basically Nothing could be done on Sundays.............
NO Business,............And,... Very Little Pleasure.......
Except for going to Church..........

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All of the above (serious) repsonses may or may not be contributing factors, but I am still willing to bet that statistically most small boat accidents happend between 12 and 4 on Sunday afternoons in the Summer.

Virtually all blue laws in New England are gone. Hard to believe they still apply to lake boating. If they did it would be all day Sunday, not just 12-4, and it wouldn't be a recently enacted law;

Also, the "multimilliondollar houses and condos around the lake" are even more likely than you or I to have zillion horsepower boats. I doubt it's their lobby.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, Bond-O

We had Sunday Blue Laws here in Texas for as long as I can remember till about 10 years ago when we got enough "yankees" down here to vote it out. 8)

You couldn't buy anything non-edible on Sundays. You'd go into a combination store, and isles of other things would be roped off.

A real pain when you have a water leak, or are working on the house, and the weekend is the only time you can work, or anything else you wanted to do with your Sunday, beins you were working the rest of the week.

It had religious overtones as the founding fathers (of it) wanted you in church on Sunday, and sitting around "visiting" afterwards...................

Mark