Why do I have to take my laptop out of it's bag at the airport?

ZmOz

Captain
Just wondering...does anybody know why I have to take my laptop out of it's bag and send it through the x-ray machine sperately when I go through airport security? They don't care about anything elese, the same bag has a digital camera, GPS, cell phone, pocket PC, etc. (yes, I'm a computer geek! :D ) I even brought an xbox through in a backpack, they never wanted to open it. What's so special about laptops? <br /><br />I guess I'll just hide the bombs in my X-box... :D :eek: :rolleyes:

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Why do I have to take my laptop out of it's bag at the airport?

Simple really.....<br /><br />They have you open your laptop bag to VERIFY that you indeed have a laptop computer in the bag. They note the make and model number of your laptop, and note your flight number.<br /><br />They pass this information on to their TSA baggage handlers on the tarmack, so that they only steal the good one's.....<br /><br /> Link 1<br /><br /> Link 2<br /><br /> Link 3

ZmOz

Captain

Carry on only. ;) I've got about $3000 worth of electronics crap in that bag, it doesn't leave my sight. They don't want me to just open the bag, I have to take it out and send it through the scanner seperately. But they don't care about any other electronics...

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

same thing happen to me when my family and I fly out of Houston International airport(George Bush). All they are interest in is the laptop should be out of the bag and open. Never mind if the laptop works or not!! go figure. Also I was carrying an expensive lighter with me and was not allowed to take it on the carry-on. After much debate over it I was told to mail it back to my house. When and mail it but only the envelope arrive with no lighter. Could not blame anyone as noone would take the blame. Loss expensive lighter and very pissed off with TSA :mad: :mad: <br /><br />Like Zmoz, I had a digital camera in my carry on and they did not asked to be shown or taken out of the bag. So was is it with Laptop computer????

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Xcusme, that is just too scarey. I don't fly much but when I do I have to look out for this. Just too scarey!

Xcusme

Commander

Bassy,<br /><br />I flatly refuse to fly ever again...period. Bad experiences with the TSA on a flight South to attend my mothers funeral convinced me. Being damn near strip searched by our wonderful TSA on the whim of a guy with a sub 90 point I.Q. did it for me. <br /><br />If I can't drive where I'm going, I stay home. You have a safer chance of your belongings getting where you are going if you UPS them in a box to your destination.<br /><br />From the links above, the TSA is YET to do background checks on 22,000 employees, now that's scary!!

brother chris

Commander

They made me do the same thing when I flew out of Vancouver, B.C. Canada. Take your laptop out of the bag sir. I had a cell phone, game boy advance and all they cared about was the puter. <br />One time the airline had my golf clubs go to another destination and I told them I had a golf tournament the next morning and needed to practice with MY clubs, and use MY clubs for the tourney. <br />Well, they were nice enough to offer to buy me a brand new golf bag, clubs, glove, umbrella...everything I needed for my tourney. <br />I was quite surprised about that. <br />All I had to do was send them the reciept. <br />After the tourney, my clubs were delivered to my house via courier. <br />I was a happy customer I tell ya. And that was Air Canada. They are usually not like that.<br />But no complaints from me.

Dunaruna

Admiral

At heathrow they made me open my video camera tape door, remove the battery, put it all together again and operate it. They didn't even give the laptop a second glance. Go figure - dunno.<br /><br />Aldo

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think laptops are very complicated so they want to scan it individually cause you could have it in the bag, and other stuff could conceal a bomb in all the mass of wires.<br /><br />Most other electronic equipment is too small to put an effective bomb into.<br /><br />That is my theory.<br /><br />About the TSA, I fly a lot and never have any problems. Just remember they are trying to make the planes safe. There will be some abuses, but they are rare. My brother flys once a week and doesnt have too many complaints. I have been treated very nicely by friendly TSA people.<br /><br />When I returned from Columbia, the security was very tight. Two metal detectors, one wand, and a patdown right before the plane door. One guy looked through all of your carry on. One woman was carrying a sample of food in a plastic container. He stuck an ice pick in the food and licked it (checking for drugs I presume). When the plane landed in Houston we were met by a dog at the plane door. I felt very safe on that plane.<br /><br />Ken

gaugeguy

Captain

I am flying to Green Bay on the 12th of October to visit Carver Yachts. In my carry on bag I will have a power supply, a frequency gernerator, a decade resistance box and a multimeter, not to mention a tangle of test leads. I expect about a 1 hour visit with security personnel at the terminal.<br /><br />I don't mind the added security, better safe than sorry.

oddjob

Commander

Yes on what GG and Ken. standard procedure after 911.

brother chris

Commander

Oh, I forgot to add to my post. <br />They made me turn the puter on and off. I guess to make sure it was not a bomb. <br />But that doesn't make sense either. Because if that was a bomb, it would have blown up the whole airport, not just a plane. :eek:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by brother chris:<br /> Oh, I forgot to add to my post. <br />They made me turn the puter on and off. I guess to make sure it was not a bomb. <br />But that doesn't make sense either. Because if that was a bomb, it would have blown up the whole airport, not just a plane. :eek:
They are assuming that if it can turn on, it is not a bomb. They are also assuming that the bomber would refuse to turn it on and not blow himself up (not a good assumption, I think).<br /><br />In reality they dont do this stuff to catch a bomber, they do it to discourage a bomber from even trying.<br /><br />Ken