Why do I get shocked?

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a strange question that I can't figure out.1977 Johnson "sea king" 70 hp. One shift lever , forward , neutral, reverse and a fast idle lever. I give this information because I am new to outboards again and I too need all the information I can get. I just read cold starting Johnsons and found out pushing the key in is the choke. Sometimes the key won't shut the engine off when turned to off. And sometimes (nearly all the time ) when it wont shut off , touching certain parts of the control housing I get shocked with a very good "jolt" about like it was A/C current and not D/C current. How is this possible ?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Why do I get shocked?

I have a strange question that I can't figure out.1977 Johnson "sea king" 70 hp. One shift lever , forward , neutral, reverse and a fast idle lever. I give this information because I am new to outboards again and I too need all the information I can get. I just read cold starting Johnsons and found out pushing the key in is the choke. Sometimes the key won't shut the engine off when turned to off. And sometimes (nearly all the time ) when it wont shut off , touching certain parts of the control housing I get shocked with a very good "jolt" about like it was A/C current and not D/C current. How is this possible ?

Don't write off D/C voltage for giving you a jolt (you haven't lived till you've been bitten by an MSD ignition). It's just as potent as A/C, with the caveat that if it's constant D/C, you can't let go like you can with A/C.

Sounds like you either have bad ignition wires, a bad ground, or one of the ignition components is breaking down and starting to leak out voltage.

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, thanks for the answer. I never been bit by DC voltage unless it was from spark plug wires on the older cars and trucks. Having a bad ground, leaking voltage from a component, or bad ignition wires cause the key not to turn off ? Or would that just be a bad switch ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Before you replace the ign sw, check ALL the ground wires both on the sw and the mtr.