Why didnt I label my plug wires???

flakeys2005

Seaman Apprentice
I was just changing the spark plugs on my 1988 OMC 3.0 4 cyl. I wasn't thinking and I took off all of the plug wires. I thought I had them in some sort of order, but when the time came to put them back on I started second guessing myself. Does any one have the order/diagram for that?
Thanks, Mike.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Why didnt I label my plug wires???

Doh!!! I hate it when that happens.

Should be 1-3-4-2....

flakeys2005

Seaman Apprentice

Doh!!! I hate it when that happens.

Should be 1-3-4-2....

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! Where on the distributor cap am I starting on that? I am pretty sure I got the one nearest the stern and the one next to that correct. Are those 1 & 2, or 3 & 4? I am going to go back out and look again.
Thanks, Mike.

nlain

Commander

1 is the one at the front of the engine, 4 is near the stern, 2&3 of course are in the middle, 1234. Work the firing order with that.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

You are going to have to bring your # 1 piston up to tdc, pull your cap and look at which point the rotor is pointing. That will be where the first plug wire goes. You can take it from there...

nlain

Commander

TDC on the comprssion stroke.

libellav15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure its no 1 tdc on Compression Stroke not exhaust stroke or else you will be putting pot 1 at firing position 3

Can't believe no one gave him a hard time about pulling em all off at once. Not even a small joke. :D

Unless you know the firing order by heart and which port on distributor #1 is I always pull em off one at a time. Much safer especially if you get called away for some crazy thing or the phone rings.

flakeys2005

Seaman Apprentice

Can't believe no one gave him a hard time about pulling em all off at once. Not even a small joke. :D

Unless you know the firing order by heart and which port on distributor #1 is I always pull em off one at a time. Much safer especially if you get called away for some crazy thing or the phone rings.

Hey, I was wondering the same thing. That is pretty unusual that a guy doesn't get ridiculed for doing a meat head thing like I did. I didn't want to blame my wife for my mistake, but now that you mention it, she did call me while I was in the middle of my project. Anyway, I went back out and took a closer look and discovered that the previous owner had faintly scratched the numbers into the cap. It turns out that I did put them on in the correct order, but what a feeling when you don't know!

Thanks everyone, Mike.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Not much help today but I do have a tip for tomorrow.
I keep a set of wooden clothes pegs around. I number them 1 to 8. They are handy for many things, like numbering plug wires.

flakeys2005

Seaman Apprentice

Not much help today but I do have a tip for tomorrow.
I keep a set of wooden clothes pegs around. I number them 1 to 8. They are handy for many things, like numbering plug wires.

good tip!