Why Can't I Find a Fuel Pump Kit?

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice
I have (2) 1995 Ocean Pro 175 HP engines. Need fuel pump kits. I've looked everywhere including this site and they only show a 1983 175 HP V6. Does my engine not have a fuel pump? What's the deal?

It starves for fuel at low speed and I have to squeeze the bulb 3-4 times to refill the carbs at idle on the Port engine so I'm thinking it's the fuel pump.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Why Can't I Find a Fuel Pump Kit?

I have (2) 1995 Ocean Pro 175 HP engines. Need fuel pump kits. I've looked everywhere including this site and they only show a 1983 175 HP V6. Does my engine not have a fuel pump? What's the deal?

It starves for fuel at low speed and I have to squeeze the bulb 3-4 times to refill the carbs at idle on the Port engine so I'm thinking it's the fuel pump.

your motor has a pump that pumps oil as well as fuel. i think it is called an OMS pump...very expensive..

in this diagram your actual pump is #2

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/B...EOM 1995/FUEL BRACKET & COMPONENTS/parts.html

cheap huh?? by four and have two sitting on the shelf as extras ha ha..

.just joking...

good luck

bob

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

Wow...is that thing electric or crancase pressure operated? Maybe it just has some loose screws. I notice a little oil seeping out of the bottom of the engine but I haven't pulled the cover off yet.

Also, what is "loopcharged"? Mine says that on the silencer cover.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

it's vacuum operated.

"loopcharged" is the means by which exhaust gases are forced out by the incoming fresh fuel/air charge. The alternative to loop charged is "crossflow".

A picture is worth 1k words http://www.maxrules.com/fixtheory2.html

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

Could this be the problem? $7.00 is a lot better than $400!

I didn't find any loose screws and I couldn't see anything wrong with the VRO pump, confusing mess that it is, so I compared the port side engine with the other one. I noticed that some fuel sprayed out of the primer lever when I pushed the key in on the port engine. Upon closer inspection it looks like the red lever is cracked right down the middle. With the engine running I sprayed some WD-40 at the lever and it sucked it right in. To me, it seems like this indicates an air leak. So could the pump be sucking in some air with the fuel, kind of like sucking soda through a broken straw?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I think there's a rebuild kit for the primer.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

I think there's a rebuild kit for the primer.

Thanks for all the info!

So, do you think the cracked primer lever could cause a fuel delivery problem? I'd hate to pull the VRO nightmare apart if I could avoid it. The oil pump part is fine I assume, at least there's no oil alarm and it does smoke when cold. The oil goes down in both reservoirs at about the same rate also.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Doug, I think you should start with the primer. If it is sucking air, the motor is running lean.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced the primer lever, but I don't think there's a difference. I haven't had it out for a run yet, just idling at the slip. After the engine idles for a minute or so, I can squeeze the bulb 2-3 times. On the other engine I can only squeeze it a little. This makes me think the carbs are not staying full.

This is a very confusing fuel delivery system compared to other older engines I've worked on. So many hoses and tubes I can't even tell what's what. I can't even tell where the fuel enters the carbs! Is there a diagram online somewhere that shows how this VRO thing works and the fuel flow path?

jgriner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not sure if it helps but brp has parts diegrams at http://epc.brp.com
but im not sure what brand Ocean Pro is

jonesg

Admiral

I replaced the primer lever, but I don't think there's a difference. I haven't had it out for a run yet, just idling at the slip. After the engine idles for a minute or so, I can squeeze the bulb 2-3 times. On the other engine I can only squeeze it a little. This makes me think the carbs are not staying full.

This is a very confusing fuel delivery system compared to other older engines I've worked on. So many hoses and tubes I can't even tell what's what. I can't even tell where the fuel enters the carbs! Is there a diagram online somewhere that shows how this VRO thing works and the fuel flow path?

Swap bulbs from one engine to the other and compare.

Did you replace the seals on the primer solenoid or just the red lever, theres a rebuild kit with new seals etc. Check to make sure its not leaking now.

Fuel pump starvation usually triggers the alarm at WOT.
IDle starvation , I would consider the carbs before the pump.
Either leaking bulb or float needle not seating, misadjusted floats etc.

The easiest check is swap bulbs.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

^ the other primer components looked ok so I just replaced the broken part. I'll try swapping the fuel bulbs.

I pulled off the fuel line (where it attaches at the transom) while the engine was running and put it in my mouth to see if it was sucking. It sucked for a little while and then seemed to stop pulling. I'm not sure if it could be an issue with the float in the vapor seperator. That's why I'd like to find a flow path. The exploded diagram doesn't help much.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The way I understand it, the pure gasoline flows thru the mainstrainer (White knurled knob under the airbox) and into the vapor seperator. The vapor seperator has a float like a carb. The gasoilne then flows under gravity to the OMS pump, where it is mixed with the oil and pumped to the carbs and primer. When you activate the primer, the mixed fuel flows into the intake manifold(bypassing the carbs).

There is a picture in the OEM Service manual.

I would think that if the vapor pump is not sealed, the OMS will starve for gasoline, which is what you are seeing.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

The way I understand it, the pure gasoline flows thru the mainstrainer (White knurled knob under the airbox) and into the vapor seperator. The vapor seperator has a float like a carb. The gasoilne then flows under gravity to the OMS pump, where it is mixed with the oil and pumped to the carbs and primer. When you activate the primer, the mixed fuel flows into the intake manifold(bypassing the carbs).

There is a picture in the OEM Service manual.

I would think that if the vapor pump is not sealed, the OMS will starve for gasoline, which is what you are seeing.

True, but according to what I've read, if it were sucking air with the fuel I would also see excessive oil consumption and smoke due to excessive stroking of the pump. I don't have much smoke after the engine warms up.

I took the pump off today and looked it over. There is a cutaway picture of the pump on continuouswave.com. It shows a thick spring on the pump motor diaphragm. I can suck and blow very easily :eek: on the crankcase fitting and it pumps fuel. I would think the diaphragm would be harder to move. Maybe the spring is broken. I also found raw fuel in the crankcase hose which would indicate a leak from the pump chamber to the motor chamber.