Whoops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

So I lost my mind today and did something stupid. We had a couple days in the low 30s here in Atlanta last week so I pulled the petcocks on the manifolds and block of my '85 3.8 OMC. Today was 75 and perfect. I took the boat out. Guess what I forgot to tighten back up? The petcocks.

All four were open while I drove for about a little over a minute at about half throttle away from the ramp. I smelled smoke. I stopped, killed the engine and found my mistake below the smoke filled bilge. The risers were obviously pretty hot, the starbord side noticeably hotter than the port. I replaced the petcocks, let things cool down, ran the bilge pump to clear out the dumped water and started it back up. It struggled to start, but ultimately did and ran fine back to the ramp. Temp guage never came up over 120. Water temp is about 55 degrees.

I docked it, then went for a bite to eat for about an hour to let things fully cool down. Once I started it back up to put it on the trailer, it ran fine, but had the classic sound of an exhaust leak on a car. Sounds just like that in fact. No water in the oil that I can see, I figure I cooked the manifold gasket. Am I on the right track here?

Where exactly is the impeller in flow chain? I'm pretty sure it's first in the system and should have had a constant feed of lake water but I'm not positive if it was starved with those petcocks missing. The system should be (and correct me if I'm wrong) Water comes in the intake through the drive, runs through the impeller and into the block, through the water pump and then the manifolds, up the risers and out the intermediate shaft to the lake. So it would make sense that the risers got the hottest as they would have been most starved for cooling water, right? I definitely smoked something in there though. There was plenty of smoke! So what do you guys suppose I'm in for? Manifold/riser gaskets, water pump maybe? Still running perfectly by the way, just slightly louder :)

Oh, its an 85 Chris Craft with a GM 3.8 and the ever-loved 800 Stringer drive. I love this boat, so keep the OMC hating to a minimum, please. :)

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Whoops!

I bet all you messed up was the manifold gaskets... Water was still running through the engine, just dumping out the petcocks instead of traveling on through the risers...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

That smoke was the rubber parts of your exhaust burning.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

You are probalby right. I do not have an I/O and forgot about the exhaust bellows. That is why it sounds like it has an exhaust leak. It does....

Well thats logical, and a bummer, but not a huge deal. Anyone know specifically to my application what I need to be looking for? I will pull the manifolds and risers to replace the gaskets. I've checked a few diagrams and it looks like there are a few sections of rubber hose past the risers to the intermediate housing. I'll definitely check them out for damage and replace as necessary, any other rubber parts I'm missing?

Thanks for the info, I sure appreciate it.

captmello

Captain

I've checked a few diagrams and it looks like there are a few sections of rubber hose past the risers to the intermediate housing.

I'd start with these before pulling your manifolds. You may need to pull the risers to change the exhaust hoses but I'm not sure about your setup.:)

Good luck.

You burned a hole in the rubber exhaust coupler.

Start it up and you should be able to feel where the hole is

Yeah, you guys were all right on the money. The upper and lower exhast coupler on the starboard side got cooked and came apart. They look like the originals, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Dougrussel.com shows them in stock but they aren't cheap, no luck at all on iboats. Anyone know of any other place to source these? Would something along the lines of radiator hose cut to size hold up?

Again, really apreciate the tips!

pacoflyer

Recruit

VBO,
I am trying to winterize this engine in a bought I just bought. Could you tell me where the petcocks are ?

Thanks,
paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats Paul, best to start a new thread with your questions and not just tack onto old threads, especially when they are on a completely different subject.
You also need to state in your thread exactly what engine and drive you have,
It is also against forum rules to post your email address on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.