Who welds here?

brother chris

Commander
Some of you know that I recently got another job, p/t, at the Home Depot.<br />Well, someone returned a welder and the box was torn and I was told there was a scratch on it as well. So I ask my boss what the price of it is, so I can tell someone, if they inquire about it. <br />He asked me "Why, do you want to buy it?" <br />I said "Depends on the price. It is $357.00 new." <br />He said, "For you, $150.00" <br />I said, "Done deal"<br />Now I am the proud owner of an Arc Welder(and there are no scratches on it, either). Here it is http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=2493 <br /><br />So does anyone weld here? Any tips or advice I need to know? <br />I have only done it once, but hope to learn how to make a whole variety of things. <br />Now, did I open a can of worms, by me buying a welder? I think so. Lets see what Chris can build now :eek:

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Who welds here?

Make sure your heat range is hot enough, a cold weld does not held very well. You have to have it hot enough to penatrate the steel you are welding.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Get a good helmet - DON'T look at the light without one, also get a pair of elbow gloves & welding hat. Apron is optional (especially if you have chest hairs).<br /><br />Get a can of spatter free.<br /><br />Go to a steel supplies and grab as much scrap as you can - weld, weld, weld!<br /><br />Play with it - adjust, angles, overlap etc.....<br /><br />You'll be a pro in no time. ;)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I welds here.... Little bit anyway.. MIG mostly..<br /><br />About all I can offer for a tip, CLEAN METAL....<br /><br />There's a good book called the "welders handbook"... Covers all the basics.. Home depot probably has the book..

brother chris

Commander

So how do you test your weld. <br />Meaning...if I weld something, how do I know what the breaking point is? Like Bob jr says, if it is too cold, how will I know its breaking point? <br />Is it just a matter of time and I will know if my weld is good enough, or is there a way to figure out the strength of it by looking at it after it is welded? <br />I do not want to build something, then in the middle of using whatever I built, have it fall apart, because I suck at welding.<br />The kit came with a helmut, so I do not have to buy one of them. And no chest hairs here(maybe 2, like Homers head :D )<br />Snapperbait: Yes, Home Depot has the book you are talking about. I think I will buy it.

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can test your welds by welding up 2 pieces at a 90 degree angle, then put it in a vise and hit the other side with a shop hammer intentionally trying to break them apart. You know you're getting good penetration and you're getting good when the weld holds. Use 6011's for general purpose welding. 6011 can be used on clean or rusty metal, although it does spatter more because of the higher deoxidizers in it to burn thru rust. 6013 is used on new metal. It's got a fast freeze characteristic which makes it good for overhead welding, too. Both give you a minimum of 60,000# tensile strength. For more strength you can use 7018 low-high (low hydrogen)rods. 70,000# minimum tensile strength. However, if you do use the 7018's be sure to get some that are designed to be used on the small cracker-box welders like you've bought. Those machines don't have enough open circuit volts to keep the arc going on regular low-high rods. Hobart makes some called 7018AC that'll work just fine for you. Like in anything else.....practice, practice, practice.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

When you get your scraps for practicing stay away from galvanized metal you'll get light headed from the fumes. :eek:

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Now that you have the welder all you need is acouple of other simple tools such as<br /><br />4 inch angle grinder<br />9 inch angle grinder<br />Cutting tourch<br />band saw <br />cutoff saw<br />sand blaster<br />drill press<br />lathe<br /><br /> :D :D <br /><br />You can weld the crack of dawn with enough practice. ;)

brother chris

Commander

4 inch angle grinder Got it<br />9 inch angle grinder Got it<br />Cutting tourch Got to buy it<br />band saw Got to buy it<br />cutoff saw Got it<br />sand blaster Got to buy it<br />drill press Got it<br />lathe Got to buy it<br /><br />Gee, seems like I have to buy more tools...darn :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

In the quest for a perfect weld, money is no object. :p

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Bro Chris,<br />A man aint got a workshop unless its full of the right tools.<br />Seriously I doubt you will regret your purchase. A good welder is a very useful piece of shop equipment. Get yourself the book and find a mate to guide you along the path.<br /><br />Peter

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by peterf (kiwipete):<br /> Bro Chris,<br />A man aint got a workshop unless its full of the right tools.<br />Seriously I doubt you will regret your purchase. A good welder is a very useful piece of shop equipment. Get yourself the book and find a mate to guide you along the path.<br /><br />Peter
Seconded.<br /><br /><br />Best way of telling if your weld is good with arc is that the slag will crack and lift off in big pieces or one piece on it's own. You've got to have a nice even finish, the welder set to the right amperage and just the right amount of penetration for that to happen.Whatever you do don't quench it in water afterwards or the weld goes more brittle than it already is.In extreme cases it'll crack.<br /><br />If you really want to test a weld, cut it apart across the weld, polish the weld/workpiece cutaway and etch it with some strong acid. That'll show you the penetration and any imperfections in it.<br /><br />I could go into this for hours (I spent 3 years learning to weld-including the metallurgy of it)

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lets see what Chris can build now <br />
I don't know if you'll have time for that...<br />Have you heard this yet:<br />"You got a welder, great! Do you think you can fix my (insert name of hoplessly damaged item that you'll spend countless hours trying to repair)."<br />I ask my dad once why he didn't buy an acytalene outfit, he said "I got too many friends."

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Congrats on the new buzz box! The 225 is a great toy/tool to have around. I'm with OMC, if there is a course you can take DO IT, you won't regret it. And let us know when ya learn the welders dance. ;) ;)

eeboater

Commander

Good Score. Wish I had a welder.<br /><br />Not sure what I'd use it for... probably welding stuff. :D

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> Maybe take a basic welding class at the local vocational school.
An afternoon class at a local high school would be a good start.<br />I've been welding for over 30 years. Have welded everything, mild steel, stainless, aluminum…