who to call for a snapped down boat cover? Upholster or canvas maker?

LuckDay

Cadet
Im looking to add a snap style boar cover to my 1978 MFG Gypsy Star O/B boat. The kind that snaps like to the windshield over the cockpit area and seals the boat easier than a trailer type cover with straps. Who do you call? the Upholster guy who does the seat cushions and trim or the canvas maker?
Any ideas?
Joe

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
call both and see who has the best price-, be very glad its not for a pontoon

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
The shop I use does it all and has good prices. They pretty much just do classic cars and boats. You might want to look for a shop like that.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I went to a canvas shop that basically did boats....

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Take this from a person that owns an upholstery & canvas shop (20+ years).....Go to a canvas pro. We run a shop that does boat repairs, canvas, and upholstery. I am the upholsterer. My partner is the canvas guy. Never the twain shall meet! If someone says they can do both, then chances are good that they are mediocre at both! The canvas guys are dedicated to just that. I am dedicated ti upholstery and these are totally different animals. Stay with the canvas guy for your cover and talk to the upholsterer for your seats.

thumpar

Admiral
Take this from a person that owns an upholstery & canvas shop (20+ years).....Go to a canvas pro. We run a shop that does boat repairs, canvas, and upholstery. I am the upholsterer. My partner is the canvas guy. Never the twain shall meet! If someone says they can do both, then chances are good that they are mediocre at both! The canvas guys are dedicated to just that. I am dedicated ti upholstery and these are totally different animals. Stay with the canvas guy for your cover and talk to the upholsterer for your seats.
The shop I use is the same but does both also. It is probably like in the computer world. I am a tech that gets asked to build a website from people. That is a whole different world.