Who makes it?

Homerr

Commander
You ever wonder who makes a particular product and sells it under many names?<br /><br />For example... I hear that some car parts (lifters) were only made by one or a few manufacturers, yet you see them labeled under a bunch of different names and prices.<br /><br />Same exact item... different name.<br />Happens all the time.<br /><br /><br />Thought I might kick this post off to see what everyone knows?<br /><br /><br /> :confused: <br /><br />H.

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Who makes it?

Almost all lawnmowers are made by a few manufacters. <br /><br />Another interesting yet useless tidbit- One of my freinds drive OTR. He would go to A Del Monte wharehouse and pick up a full load of can vegis. He would deliver them to a Hy Top ( a store brand type of deal) where they were relabeled and sold as actual Hy Top products. This would make sense if it was the other way around but the Del Monte is typically 35-40% higher than Hy Top.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> Almost all lawnmowers are made by a few manufacters. <br /><br />Another interesting yet useless tidbit- One of my freinds drive OTR. He would go to A Del Monte wharehouse and pick up a full load of can vegis. He would deliver them to a Hy Top ( a store brand type of deal) where they were relabeled and sold as actual Hy Top products. This would make sense if it was the other way around but the Del Monte is typically 35-40% higher than Hy Top.
Did that for 22 years.<br />Would pick a load of stuff up in Ca. and take to the Kroger warehouse in Buffalo, NY and they would do that and ship it out to their stores.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

I worked in a clothing warehouse/shipping facility in Nogales, AZ. as a teenager. We would ship leather and fabric into Nogales, Mexico where it was cut and sewn into clothes, mainly jackets. They would ship it back to us where it was labled/packaged & shipped out to different stores. The leather jackets would get different lables, like Goldwaters, Dillards, K-mart, etc. They were the same jackets, but with different lables. Different prices also...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

In the manufacturing world I see lots of different products that look similar but are significantly different. As a pump mfg we make pumps for the professional installer with increased features, better components, and a better service network that is not available to the retail brands. <br /><br />Your Lowes and other big boxes like to have a good better best line-up. How exactly do you put a lifetime warranty on an electric motor? You can't. You are typically paying for the failure rate as opposed to quality. These huge retailers frequently dictate price and the only way to make a profit is to lower the quality of the components required to mfg and make a profit. That is why you get different prices on Milwaukee tools sold at Home Depot as opposed to a tool specialty store. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. Tomato's are one thing but buyer beware. That which looks the same is frequently not.<br /><br />A good example is what is going on with 12footers well pump. If he calls the 800 number on the retail pump for help he will get a longer wait time, work with someone who is limited in his/her experience, be referred to a big box retailer with the brain dead high schooler with no clue what he is talking about, and end up with a system that might work but will not last as long as the design would allow for if all correct information is gathered and specific equipment installed. Someone sold him a pump and didn't even ask what size tank he had. One is directly related to the long term reliability of the other. If he doesn't include a correct tank the pump might last a year, instead of the 10+ he got from the proline unit he is replacing. They want it to work, but not always working correctly. The devil is in the details.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Yard Machine, Bolens, Troy Bilt, And Cub Cadet are all made by the same Company.<br /><br />Also Craftsman Power tools Used to be made by Singer.

one more cast

Captain

I agree that just because the same company makes lawnmowers or what ever does not mean they are the same product but I also know that when I worked in a paper mill cutting copier paper that we would just change the labels to make different brands of paper and this also applys to some cream cheese (same product,different name,different price,sitting next to each other in the store).

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Same processed food different labels from canning factory or frozen sea food plants!!<br /><br />Gortons' of Gloucester processes frozen dinners; fish sticks etc: under their own label and puts up orders for Vandi Camp; Taste of the Sea and others!!!!<br /><br />You can buy Delmonte or pay less for the store label!!!! ;) :cool: