who has OMC out drives??

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Since I'm trying to feel better about mine how many OMC owners out there who like their drives what sorts of problems have you been having.

buddyx1

Cadet
Re: who has OMC out drives??

So far so good with mine.<br /><br />1987 MonArk 4.3L with Cobra Outdrive

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same here,So far so good.Hoping it stays that way to.LOL

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

1986 Peterborough 3.0 Cobra drive. Works just fine. Personaly I find the cobra drive much stronger looking than the Merc Alpha 1.

rml

Seaman

The Cobra: it's easy to check/change the impeller and the bellows. Parts are readily available and as long as the often discussed shift cable issue has been corrected it'll shift with one finger. Love your Cobra, it deserves it ;) <br /><br />Regards,<br /><br /> --rml

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Been running an 800 stringer for 24 years. It did take a couple of years rest in the early 90's but has an easy 1800 hours on it. Many of them pulling multiple skiers and a 200 or so hours of salt water use. <br /><br />I don't have any alignment problems, no u-joint problems, no bellows problems or any of the other myriad of problems that are constantly talked about for Mercs.<br /><br />The outdrive will turn the boat within it's own length, will tilt up fast enough to avoid that un-noticed ski rope that you just ran over and will tilt up far enough to allow a prop change while sitting on the transom plus it doesn't wag like a dogs tail as I'm driving down the road.<br /><br />I am in the process of rebuilding my floor and upgrading my 302 to a stroked 331. With motor and outdrive out of the boat I thought I would take the outdrive down for a general inspection. I've only ever had one other impeller change and no other repairs. The lower unit was in excellent shape, I did have them replace two rather expensive water pump drive shafts as well as the impeller and housing. Total bill was $1K after 24 years. Not bad.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

1988 4.3 Cobra. So far it has needed a shift cable adjustment like they all do, one seal replaced and the impeller which I did myself.<br />The main thing with Cobras is to find a good shop to work on them, if you can't then you have to learn yourself! I'll run it as long as I can get parts, when that becomes a problem I'll look into the Volvo SX conversion.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I've had Cobra's since 1988 and currently have 2 1989 460 King Cobra's, no really big problems but for some reason I seem to go through a lot trim senders, I have to change one every couple of years and last year had to do both at $120 CDN a piece and I boat in fresh water.

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the key to owning any OMC is due diligence in regard to maintenance. No real big problems with my 800. I've had to do a water pump and reseal since it sat for a number of years and the old rubber took a set. Other than that, it works great, sounds great and takes me to the fish!

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I did the Volvo SX conversion. Complete repower with FI Volvo 4.3. <br /><br />Sure, it was expensive, but no more grief with the Cobra ESA preventing starting or stalling out, or jamming into gear. No more nervous listening, just turn the key and enjoy the day.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to I/O

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice

hi alex im glad everybody is happy with their setups.i am with you, but i dont think ill ever feel good. my cobra has been nothing but trouble .i installed a new lower shift cable and couldnt get the correct dimension on the shift rod end. i took it to a "professional", who charged me 900.00 dollars, for a new cable, bellcrank and minor parts, the labor was 6 hrs. however the damage has been done and now i have the outdrive apart for a lower gears change. needless to say there will be no more professionls working on my boat. better luck with yours. mickey1

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

Recently had mine go south. Honestly, I think some shift cable maintennance may have kept this from happening.<br />While accelerating the gears completely broke loose, and couldn't get fwd gear to engage anymore.<br />After disassembling the lwr gearcase the clutch-dog has a few thousandths shaved off each tooth. Shop quoted me about $350 for labor to re-assemble the gear case w/a new gear set + $60-$70 for a seal kit, but I'm supplying the gears which I found for $200 - roughly half price.<br />Moral of the story - if you maintain them they're solid performers. If not, you'll be kicking yourself.

metwrench

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1988 5.7 OMC / Cobra...<br /><br />I havent had any problems for 5 Years now...Change the oil every year.. No trouble here

highsea

Recruit

Twin 5.0 OMC Cobra's in a 1992 Fourwinns 255 Sundowner.<br /><br />I've had no problems, besides having to adjust the shift cables now and then.